Dracula may not have much use for it, but for the rest of us, garlic packs a powerful one-two punch of flavor and wellness. Although best known for its tantalizing taste, the versatile veggie-slash-herb is also surprisingly good for you. Packed with vitamins, minerals and antioxidants, garlic has been linked to improved heart health, cancer prevention and reduced instances of cold and flu.
If your garlic repertoire has thus far been limited to bread and pasta, isn’t it time to widen your horizons with more creative ways to cook with cloves?
- Sautéed Spinach with Garlic and Poached Egg over Toast: Take brunch to a bold new level by dressing up toast with garlicky sautéed spinach and poached eggs. Not only does it tantalize the taste buds, it's high in protein, fiber and iron.
- Kale and Garlic Frittata: It doesn't get much easier, or healthier, than this one-pan breakfast recipe. Steamed kale is tossed with sautéed onion and garlic, covered in beaten eggs and then baked to golden perfection.
- Breakfast Omelet Cheesy Garlic Bread: For a hearty start to the day, this garlic bread is layered with scrambled eggs, bacon, ham, mushrooms, peppers, tomatoes and cheese.
- Cheesy Breakfast Casserole with Garlic: Chock full of eggs, Italian sausage and hash browns, this satisfying casserole is flavored with garlic, onion and red pepper.
Sides, Salads and Appetizers
- Garlic Breakfast Potatoes: Billed as the "best breakfast potatoes ever," these simple spuds are flavored with red potatoes, onions, garlic and bell peppers.
- Breakfast Pizzas: Crispy English muffins are brushed with garlic butter, then topped with scrambled eggs, ham and cheese.
- Lemon Garlic String Beans: Minced garlic and fresh lemon infuse string beans with amazing flavor in this healthy, super-simple side dish from Fannetastic Food.
- Crispy Baked Garlic Parmesan Potato Wedges: Nice knowing you, French fries. These healthier wedges are flavored with a garlic parmesan blend, drizzled with olive oil and baked to crispy perfection.
- Red Roasted Carrots with Garlic: You haven't enjoyed carrots until you've seasoned them with garlic powder, cinnamon, paprika, chili powder and sea salt, then roasted them to crispy deliciousness.
- Portobello Cream Bites with Garlic and Goat Cheese: This delightfully cheesy, garlicky mixture is perfect for filling pastry cups or spreading on crackers or crusty bread.
- Garlic and Balsamic Glazed Brussel Sprouts: Even the pickiest anti-veggites will appreciate the garlicky goodness of these glazed, grown-up sprouts.
- Creamy Garlic Butter Scallops with Prosciutto: Scallops become scrumptious when they're cooked in a creamy, buttery garlic sauce with crispy prosciutto. Serve them over cooked brown rice or with crusty bread.
- Slow Cooker Beef and Beans Pasta Soup with Garlic: Meat lovers will rejoice in this satisfying stew, and you'll love the smell of simmering spices filling the house.
- Roasted Garlic Hummus: After roasting the garlic, simply blend it with the other ingredients to create an amazingly flavorful and healthy spread.
- Zucchini Fritters with Herb-Garlic Aioli: We love creative ways to enjoy zucchini, and these flavorful fritters don't disappoint.
- Low-Fat Slow Cooker Garlic Mashed Potatoes: Prepare this savory side dish for your next large gathering. Garlic is the star of this low-calorie, low-fat alternative to traditional mashed potatoes.
- Garlic Roasted Mushroom Salad: Mushrooms become mouth-watering when roasted in garlic, olive oil and arugula and served on a bed of fresh greens.
- Garlic Basil Knots: Once you've made these tantalizing knots from fresh dough, basil and garlic, you'll never want to go back to frozen again.
Lunch and Dinner Recipes
- Roasted Garlic Ranch Eggplant Rolls: Grilled eggplant is filled with a savory mixture of roasted garlic ranch and kale, and then baked to perfection.
- Skinny BLTs with White Garlic Sauce: Amy serves up a guilt-free twist on the traditional BLT with this healthy sandwich, which features crunchy bacon, fresh tomatoes and crisp lettuce flavored with fat-free white garlic sauce on toasted wheat bread.
- Easy Honey Garlic Shrimp and Broccoli: The sticky honey garlic sauce in this simple dish is made from garlic, ginger, honey and soy sauce. Serve the shrimp and broccoli over rice, pasta or zoodles.
- Broiled Paprika Garlic Chicken Thighs: Savory chicken thighs are flavored with lemon, paprika, minced garlic and garlic powder and then broiled to perfection in this gluten-free, dairy-free dish from Avocado Pesto.
Image via AAvocado Pesto
- Crispy Garlic Butter Shrimp: It's hard to believe these crispy, buttery and garlicky shrimp are low-calorie and heart-healthy—and that they require just five ingredients and 15 minutes to prepare.
Image viaThe Seasoned Mom
- Garlic Spinach Stuffed Chicken: Chicken breasts are stuffed with a flavorful mix of onions, garlic, tomatoes and spinach, then topped with cheese and baked to gooey perfection.
- Creamy Vegan Garlic and Herb Pasta: With all of its creamy, garlicky goodness, this savory pasta is proof that vegan dishes don't have to be dull. Gluten-free eaters can use quinoa or brown rice instead of pasta.
- Lemon Garlic Salmon and Asparagus: If you have one pan and 10 minutes, you can throw together this easy, healthy dinner flavored with lemon garlic and butter.
- Grilled Pork Chops with Garlic and Ginger: The traditional pork chop enjoys a taste upgrade with a flavorful medley of garlic, ginger, soy sauce and honey.
- Rosemary and Garlic Roasted Leg of Lamb: A classic roasted leg of lamb is transformed with a flavorful rosemary and garlic rub.
- Rainbow Stir Fry with Garlic Ginger Sauce: Create your own colorful Chinese buffet flavored with garlic, ginger, honey and sesame oil.
- Garlic Zoodles with Fried Chickpeas: We're always looking for opportunities to cook with zoodles, and it doesn't get much easier or more delicious than this quick vegan recipe.
- Garlic Chocolate Truffles: Bittersweet chocolate chips are melted with cream, butter and minced garlic for a decadent dessert your guests won't soon forget.
- Apple Spice Cake with Roasted Garlic Sauce: Apples, nuts and spices perfectly complement the garlic notes in this sweet and savory dessert, best served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
What other great garlic recipes would you like to share or try?
- Garlic Rosemary Pine Nut Brittle: It may look fancy, but this crispy fusion of toasted caramel, sweet garlic and floral rosemary requires only five ingredients and less than 20 minutes to prepare.
You will earn 5 SparkPoints