Thanks to each and every one of who has purchased "The SparkPeople Cookbook: Love Your Food, Lose the Weight." I know I keep saying it, but it truly was a labor of love for Stepfanie and me.
Everyone, from the media and co-workers to friends and SparkPeople members, keeps asking the same questions: Which recipe is your favorite?
Ask a chef which recipes are her favorite, and like a mother, she’ll answer, "I love them all equally." This cookbook was like a baby to me and, as a result, it’s filled with recipes I love. While each and every one is satisfying and nutritious, here are a dozen I think will become staples in your household. You can take a sneak peek at some of them, but you'll have to buy the cookbook to get the rest.
Photos by Randall Hoover Photography; food styling by Lynne Morris
- Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken. There’s a reason why this is the No. 1 recipe among SparkPeople members.
- Lemon-Herb Roasted Chicken. Roasted chicken is like the little black dress of the kitchen.
- Multigrain Rolls. Good for any meal, anytime. Make a couple of batches a month and freeze them. To reheat just pop them in the microwave for a few seconds, or leave them on the counter all day, then warm in a toaster oven.
- Baked Lemon Spiced Rice. A versatile whole-grain side that turns into great leftovers.
- Quick Herbed Couscous with Vegetables. You’ll have a whole-grain side and two vegetables in less than 15 minutes.
- Black Bean and Corn Salad. Fast and full of fiber, serve it on the side or in a wrap to round out any meal.
- Minestrone Soup with Parmesan Crisps. This soup is a great way to get kids to eat their veggies. We eat it all year round.
- Tuna Noodle Casserole. I never thought I’d say it, but this one-dish meal is hearty and delicious. Even the pickiest kid will eat it.
- Roasted Root Vegetables. Make two batches at a time and reheat these as omelet fillers, a quick side, or even a salad topper.
- Egg-White Omelet. Full of protein and ready in just a few minutes, this is a fast breakfast favorite.
- Baby Spinach Salad with Strawberries and Toasted Almonds. Ready in no time, it dresses up any meal. (Bulk it up with Lemon Herb Roasted Chicken and Multigrain Rolls.)
- Chicken-Vegetable Soup. Comfort food that’s perfect for even the busiest of nights.
What are some staple recipes in your household? Will you try these?