I know you are busy (that's the number one excuse I hear from people who aren't exercising regularly), but everyone's got at least 10 minutes to spare at some point during the day! And, even if you are managing several longer workouts each week, adding in 10-minute bouts of activity can help combat the dangerous effects of sitting for too long during the remaining hours of your day.
Print, "pin" or post this list somewhere you'll see it every day, and next time you find yourself with 10 extra minutes, fit in a little extra fitness—your body (and mind!) will thank you.
10-Minute Workout Ideas
- Do some cardio shopping. Each time you head to the grocery store or mall, spend 10 minutes power walking around the perimeter of the store before grabbing a cart. You can scope out items that are on sale, or decide which tempting treats to stay away from before starting to shop.
- Dance like no one is watching. Turn up your favorite playlist and dance your heart out for three full songs. Since most popular songs are about 3 1/2 minutes long, you won't need a timer. (This is definitely one of my favorite—and most fun—ways to ramp up my energy and burn a few extra calories!)
- Challenge the kids to a skipping contest. Skipping is great cardio exercise and an excellent lower body toner! See who can skip (forward and backwards) for a full 10 minutes around the yard.
- Stretch it out. Take a 10-minute timeout and find a quiet place to stretch. Start at the top of your body and work your way all the way down with some of your favorite, feel-good stretches while focusing on taking deep, relaxing breaths the entire time. (Try spending a minute with each one of these 10 stretches).
- Take a walking break during your workday. Walk or jog (or both) as far as you can for five minutes, and then turn around and head back. Weather not cooperating? Lap your home or office indoors if necessary. The view isn't what is important; instead, focus on standing tall, pumping your arms and getting your blood flowing.
- Squeeze in a "strength shot" before hitting the shower. Set a timer, and do one minute of each of the following: 1) squats, 2) push-ups, 3) lunges ,4) crunches, and 5) back extensions, twice through, for a 10-minute, do-anywhere strength routine that will pump you up and boost your energy.
- Heading upstairs? Try this "stair master: routine: Walk up one flight of stairs, and at the top, do 10 squats. Walk down the flight of stairs and do 10 jumping jacks. Repeat as many times as you can for 10 minutes.
- On the phone? Take your conversation laterally. Walk the length of the room you are in laterally (sideways), and then change arms/ears with the phone before heading back. (Make it harder by holding a squat position as you walk side to side).
- Jump to it! Grab a jump rope and practice different footwork with it for 10 minutes. Now 10-minutes of consecutive jumping is tough, so you may need to build up to it (especially if you haven't jumped rope in awhile). Alternate skipping rope with marching in place as often as needed. Don't have a rope at home? Just pretend. It's just as effective! Try this 10-Minute Jump Rope Workout from Coach Nicole for various footwork ideas mixed with recovery intervals.
Tell me, what are some of YOUR favorite ways to squeeze in a little extra activity during your busy day?
- Clean up—and shape up—with this CrossFit-inspired cleaning WOD (workout of the day). Most household chores double as a great total body exercises! Do as many "reps" as you can in 10 minutes of any of these activities: pick up and put away objects around the house, wash dishes, vacuum, sweep or mop floors, dust furniture, make beds, or fold laundry.
About the Author
As someone who struggled to lose weight for years, Jessica found that the key to her own 40-pound weight loss was making small, healthy lifestyle changes that led to big, lasting results. Now, as a certified wellcoach, fitness instructor and personal trainer, she has spent the last 15 years helping students and clients reach their goals in New York City, Los Angeles and Miami, and now reaches millions online through her YouTube Channel and home exercise DVD series. Please visit jessicasmithtv.com/shop to learn more about her fun, results driven programs for all levels of exercisers.