13 Super Salsa Recipes
Tips for making great salsa
- Choose the freshest ingredients possible.
- To control the heat of the salsa, remove the inner ribs and seeds of all peppers. Remember to wear gloves or wash your hands just as soon as you finish the task.
- Use a meaty tomato for salsa such as Roma, grape, or cherry tomatoes.
- You can make salsa in winter, too. Just use canned tomatoes. Be sure to select a no-salt variety and drain the excess liquid before using.
- If you are using a food processor to make your salsa, use the pulse mode. If you process too much, your salsa will become gazpacho!
- Chef Meg's general rule of thumb for a salsa ratio is: 2 parts main ingredient
- 1 part contrasting ingredient
- 1 part acid and/or herbs
- For example, a traditional salsa contains tomatoes, peppers, onions, vinegar, and herbs. The rule would be 2 parts tomato, 1 part peppers and onions, and one part vinegar with fresh herbs.
- This isn't a time for exact measurements. Be creative. Salsa recipes are very forgiving, so adjust as needed!
|Main Flavor(s) +||Contrasting Flavor(s) +||Acid +||Herbs and spices|
|diced mango||diced red onions||lime juice and zest||Ancho chili powder and fresh cilantro|
|diced plums||diced onion||lime juice and zest||fresh cilantro or basil|
|diced cucumber||diced yellow tomatoes and jalapeno||lime or lemon juice (optional)||fresh cilantro|
|chopped strawberries||diced kiwi & other tropical fruit||lime juice and zest||poppy seeds|
|cannellini (white kidney) and black beans||diced red onion and tomatoes||lemon juice||garlic and fresh parsley|
|diced watermelon||diced red onion||lime or lemon juice (optional)||basil and crumbled feta cheese (optional)|
|Peach and Veggies|
|diced peaches||diced tomatoes, banana peppers and charred corn||lime juice and zest|
|diced tomatoes and avocados||diced red onion and bell peppers||lime juice and zest||fresh cilantro|
|diced pineapple||diced onion and jalapeno||lime zest and juice||fresh cilantro or mint|
|pureed tomatillos||pureed onions and jalapeno||lime juice and zest||fresh cilantro|
|diced jicama||diced bell peppers||lime juice and zest||fresh cilantro|
|fresh, frozen or canned corn||diced bell peppers and onions||lime juice and zest||garlic|
|fresh strawberries||chopped oranges||lime zest and juice||fresh mint|
What do you like in your salsa?
Want more healthy recipes from me and fellow SparkPeople members? Be sure to subscribe to SparkPeople's Recipe of the Day email. Click here to sign up!
Did you know SparkRecipes is now on Facebook? Click here to "Like" us!
Like this blog? Then you'll love "The SparkPeople Cookbook: Love Your Food, Lose the Weight."
How do you like your salsa?
You will earn 5 SparkPoints