What a wonderful weekend it was to spend with so many inspirational members . The conventions are becoming the highlight of my life in ways many of you may understand. For those non-SparkPeople members this may be hard for them to appreciate, but trust me, I walked away with more friends this past weekend than I did when I arrived. Life doesn't get any better than that! I was so touched and moved by everyone who has had the courage to walk this journey. We are more than just members of an internet site, WE ARE A FAMILY!
So I decided to come up with a list of lessons I learned from our members and I would like to share them with you.
- We are never alone on this journey. We all came to SparkPeople with our own baggage but what I have discovered is with GREAT community support we are NEVER alone is this journey. My new friend Laurie5658 and I shared our love of running and I will always know her as Laurie the RUNNER!
- We can inspire others even when we don't expect to. I was so honored to meet ~IndyGirl! Wow, talk about a beautiful lady. She is quite funny and I think she may have found a calling for public speaking. I hung on every word she had to say and as you would expect lots of HAPPY tears. What a true delight. Same is true for beautiful Laura AKA BLAZEGRRL. Wow what a fantastic story she shared about her own healthy lifestyle journey. When we accomplish our goals, the doors to our life are opened wide.
- We are more than members, we are true friends. Friday night at the impromptu 'Meet and Greet' I met three awesome women, two from Louisville--SUZYSPARKLES and SUNFLOWER , one sweet lady Melissa AKA SURFIE from South Carolina and a great guy named Mike, AKA MIKEEO also from Louisville. This team was AWESOME. They made their own 'SparkPeople' shirts with their usernames on the back. Talk about spreading the SPARK. And hey, Mike is like a giant teddy bear who never stopped smiling and gave me some AWESOME bear hugs. Would you all consider adopting me?
- It's OK to cry tears of joy. I just love to see how our members take on the challenges in their lives. My new friends Heather and Jessica did just that as they took on the Teddy Bear 5K Sunday morning. What an honor it was to be there to see these ladies meet their goals and while they never expected a medal, they each got one! Can I get a WOO HOO? WOO HOO!
- Smiles are contagious! I met my friend Lynn on the elevator at the hotel after working out at the gym. Each time our paths crossed I couldn't help but smile back. What a joy to have seen her at the convention, but also at the Teddy Bear 5K on Sunday! And without Spark members IT-IS-WHATITIS and GOT2BME1's reassuring smiles during my presentation, I am not sure it would have gone as well as it did. Thank you ladies.
- People are who they are! Bobby and Anne and Dani were members I have known for quite some time from the Rookie Running Group SparkTeam and I must say they are as every bit as genuine as they come. The friendships were only solidified even more so by meeting these wonderful people in person.
- We share a common bond. Sharing our life's ups and downs as well as our hopes and dreams is what connects us to one another. I had the joy of sharing a meal with Deb and her sister Gerry and 7 other members Friday night. It was so wonderful to share our own journey but more importantly connect as friends. I even walked away with an invitation to come to Michigan!!! WOO HOO!
These are just a few lessons of many I learned this weekend. This journey is such an incredible adventure that having others to share it with me makes my life the best it's ever been. THANK YOU ALL!!!
What have you learned from other members that has allowed you to stay on this journey? Have you met any members in person, if so, was it everything you expected? What lessons can you share with others to help them on their own personal journey?
You will earn 5 SparkPoints