Some of the best workouts are the ones you can do anytime, anywhere. Just because you’re not using fancy gym equipment does not mean you aren’t working hard, challenging your body and getting results. Whether you’re stretched for time and need to squeeze in some fitness, or you just don’t want to spend a lot of time exercising today, here are two quick workouts to start and finish your day the right way. Try one or both for a full-body workout in just 10 minutes. The best news of all: you can do them in your slippers without even walking out the door!
Rise and Shine!
Ideally, you want to warm up your muscles before starting any workout. March in place for 1-2 minutes before you begin. For the stretches in the sequence below (torso stretch, lying double knee hug stretch, standing shoulder stretch), hold each one for about 30 seconds. For the strength moves (lying single-leg raises, bicycle crunches, modified push-ups, Supermans) do 1-2 sets of each exercise, with 8-12 repetitions per set.
1. Torso Stretch. Breathe deep in this full body stretch to awaken your entire body.
2. Lying Single-Leg Raises. You’ll feel your quads start to burn in this exercise. It’s also a stabilizing workout for your core.
3. Bicycle Crunches. This exercise targets not only your abs, but your obliques as well.
4. Modified Push-Ups. Start on your knees and progress up to your toes when you’re ready. This exercise targets multiple upper-body muscles in one.
5. Superman. Don’t forget to breathe during this challenging exercise for your lower back.
6. Lying Double-Knee Hug Stretch. Stretch out your lower back and hips after the work they just did.
7. Standing Shoulder Stretch. This upper-body stretch will leave you feeling good and ready to start your day!
Even if you’ve been running around all day, you should still warm up by marching in place for 1-2 minutes before starting this workout. For the stretches in the sequence below (wide-leg modified hamstring stretch, seated cross-legged forward bend stretch, torso stretch), hold each one for about 30 seconds. For the strength moves (genie sit, seated knee lifts with chair, triceps dips with bent knees, seated leg extensions) do 1-2 sets of each exercise, with 8-12 repetitions per set.
1. Wide-Leg Modified Hamstring Stretch. This is a great beginner version of this stretch. As you become more flexible you can reach further down your leg, but only to the point of mild discomfort.
2. Genie Sit. This is a very small but effective movement. Have a partner hold your feet for support, if needed.
3. Seated Knee Lifts with Chair. You’ll quickly feel your abs working if you’re doing this exercise with small and controlled movement.
4. Triceps Dips with Bent Knees. Target the backs of the arms with this challenging exercise. Put your legs out straight in front for an even bigger challenge.
5. Seated Leg Extensions. Extend each leg for 2 seconds, then pulse for another 3 to make it even more difficult. You’ll start to feel the burn in no time!
6. Seated Cross-Legged Forward Bend Stretch. This stretch targets your hips, hamstrings and back—all in one! If you find this one to be difficult, carefully sit on a chair and reach your arms out in front of you (clasp hands together) for an upper body stretch.
7. Torso Stretch. Breathe deep in this full-body stretch as a way to relax at the end of a long day.
As long as you’re working hard and you’re consistent with your exercise routine, your time spent will pay off—even if you are working out in your slippers! Can you find some small pockets of time to incorporate these routines into your life a few times per week? Set your alarm 10 minutes earlier in the morning, and find 10 minutes in the evening. That’s 20 minutes of exercise you wouldn’t have done before!
How do you squeeze in a quick workout when you're short on time? Share in the comments below!
Shop Vionic’s full line of men’s slippers and women’s slippers at vionicshoes.com.
About Vionic Footwear
Vionic footwear merges unparalleled biomechanical technology with versatile, modern design fit for every occasion. Developed by Phillip Vasyli, renowned Australian podiatrist and founder of Orthaheel® Technology, Vionic shoes help restore natural foot function and relieve heel pain, promoting a more active lifestyle. Vionic’s footwear and orthotic inserts are also endorsed by noted integrative medicine expert, Dr. Andrew Weil. With premium materials, artful construction and streamlined silhouettes, Vionic’s men’s and women’s collections provide standout style with exceptional comfort and functionality.
For additional information about Vionic with Orthaheel Technology, please visit .
More From SparkPeople