Are you tired of eating plain, boring chicken breasts every night for dinner, or are you having a hard time packing in enough protein to meet your daily needs? Studies suggest that eating protein helps you feel fuller for longer and keeps your body's systems functioning properly. However, many high-protein recipes are also loaded with saturated fat and cholesterol that work against your efforts to stay healthy.
A healthy and balanced diet requires 10 to 35 percent protein. That's an average of 50 to 175 grams daily. To find the right balance of protein and fat, follow these suggestions:
1. Healthy Chicken Vegetable Casserole: Try this inexpensive and fresh version of a chicken casserole—no need for processed soups or sauces!
CALORIES: 320.6 | FAT: 8.9g | PROTEIN: 27.9g | CARBS: 36.1g | FIBER: 8.8g
2. Grilled BBQ Chicken Flatbreads: This recipe was created for kids, but adults will crave a slice, too. You can always add hot pepper rings for the grown-ups!
CALORIES: 223.9 | FAT: 3.9g | PROTEIN: 26.2g | CARBS: 21.4g | FIBER: 2.9g
3. Mexican Chicken and Rice Casserole: You can't go wrong with this family favorite!
CALORIES: 268.9 | FAT: 4.9g | PROTEIN: 34.6g | CARBS: 19.3g | FIBER: 3.8g
4. Vegan Chili: An easy meat- and dairy-free meal.
CALORIES: 348.2 | FAT: 3 g | PROTEIN: 56.9 g | CARBS: 44.7 g | FIBER: 18.6 g
5. Cottage Cheese, Spinach and Tomato Omelet: This is a great option to prepare ahead and enjoy for breakfast (or any meal!).
CALORIES: 345.6 | FAT: 2.2 g | PROTEIN: 59.2 g | CARBS: 13.9 g | FIBER: 2.5 g
6. Chicken & Rice with White Beans Soup: This soup is packed with nutrition and is simple to prepare.
CALORIES: 105.1 | FAT: 0.7 g | PROTEIN: 80.2 g | CARBS: 31.7 g | FIBER: 3.2 g
7. Authentic Fresh Mexican Tuna Salad: Tuna is so versatile—why not try mixing a little pico de gallo in it for some south-of-the-border flavor?
CALORIES: 308.8 | FAT: 2.5 g | PROTEIN: 53.7 g | CARBS: 18.5 g | FIBER: 4.3 g
8. Mediterranean Baked Fish: This dish is baked and flavored with a Mediterranean-style tomato, onion and garlic sauce to reduce the fat and salt content.
CALORIES: 225.5 | FAT: 4.4g | PROTEIN: 29.4g | CARBS: 17.3g | FIBER: 2.5g
9. Moroccan Chicken & Lentils: This quick and tasty crockpot recipe will satisfy a take-out craving, with none of the effort or fat!
CALORIES: 355 | FAT: 2.6g | PROTEIN: 49.4g | CARBS: 32.9g | FIBER: 16.1g
10. Buttermilk Marinated Chicken Breasts: This versatile chicken dish is flavored with buttermilk, mustard, honey and seasonings.
CALORIES: 282.8 | FAT: 3.2 g | PROTEIN: 55.6 g | CARBS: 3.9 g | FIBER: 0.1 g
11. Tuna and White Bean Salad: A refreshing alternative to tuna salad. Pair with tomatoes and cucumber for a light lunch.
CALORIES: 219.1 | FAT: 4.1 g | PROTEIN: 27.6 g | CARBS: 20.4 g | FIBER: 6.1 g
12. Turkey Meatloaf: This is a fast, easy and flavorful rendition of a favorite food. Serve with a side of steamed broccoli, green beans or mixed veggies.
CALORIES: 220.6 | FAT: 2.7 g | PROTEIN: 28.5 g | CARBS: 13.3 g | FIBER: 0.4 g
13. 20-Minute Chicken Creole: This quick Southern dish contains no added fat and very little added salt in this spicy tomato sauce.
CALORIES: 255.4 | FAT: 4.5 g | PROTEIN: 33.3 g | CARBS: 20.7 g | FIBER: 4.3 g
How do you make sure you're eating enough protein every day? What's your favorite high-protein, low-fat recipe?
More From SparkPeople