Chances are you already have lots of questions for your health care provider, but there may be some you forgot to ask. Here are some excellent questions to ask about pre-conception, pregnancy, labor and delivery, and the postpartum period. And remember, there are NO stupid questions. |
Questions about Preconception & Trying to Conceive
If you're already pregnant, ask these questions at your first appointment.
Questions about Pregnancy
- Are my immunizations up to date?
- What medications should I avoid?
- Do I have any health problems that should be treated prior to conception?
- Should I have my iron levels checked?
- What kind of prenatal vitamin should I take?
Questions about Labor & Delivery
- Are there any limitations on exercise (type of exercise, intensity, duration or frequency)?
- How long can I continue jogging?
- Should I limit or avoid certain foods?
- Should I limit or avoid any recreational activities?
- What foods are especially healthy during pregnancy?
- Should I be concerned about mercury levels in fish?
- What is a healthy amount of weight for me to gain?
- Should I get a flu shot?
- Are there any hazards in my work environment (computers, chemicals) to be concerned about?
- Do any of my hobbies pose any hazards that might harm the baby?
- What prenatal tests are recommended for me?
- Are there any beauty/spa treatments that I should avoid?
- Is sex safe throughout my entire pregnancy?
- How long can I sleep on my back?
- When is it no longer safe to fly?
- How should I position my seat belt around my belly?
- What symptoms of problems should I watch out for?
- How will I know I'm in labor, and how soon should I call the office?
- Are my nipples suitable for breastfeeding? (Inverted, retracting, or flat nipples can be problematic, but are easily "fixed" prior to delivery)
- Is it safe to take hot baths during pregnancy?
- When do we get an ultrasound?
- How often should I schedule appointments?
Questions about Postpartum
- Are there any exercises I can do now to help make labor go easier or faster?
- How long should I wait before going to the hospital/birthing center?
- Who will deliver my baby?
- Who can I invite to the birth (limits on number or age of invitees)?
- Can I drink/snack during labor?
- Can I wear my own clothing during labor?
- Can we videotape the birth?|
- Besides medication, what alternative pain management techniques do you recommend?
- What can we do to help labor along before going to the hospital or birthing center?
- Should I continue to take prenatal vitamins?
- How soon can I resume exercise?
- How long should I wait before having sex?
- Whom should I call if I encounter problems breastfeeding?
- How much depression/moodiness is normal?
- How long should I wait to take a hot bath or sit in a hot tub?
- How soon can I start to try to lose my pregnancy weight?