Packing shoes for vacation is challenging. You want to bring enough pairs to go with all your outfits, but at the same time, you don't want to pack too many (hello, heavy suitcase!). Depending on the type of vacation, you'll be fitting in a variety of activities and logging a lot of steps. That's why it's so important to pack shoes that you can walk comfortably in that are still stylish (just because you're a tourist doesn't mean you have to look like one). Here are our recommendations for the three pairs of cute walking shoes you absolutely need to pack:
1. A pair of casual walking shoes for long days of walking. Make sure yours have sufficient arch support to help prevent your feet from getting fatigued while traipsing around your destination. Shock absorption in the heel and cushioning throughout absorb the impact of each step so you won't miss a thing while sightseeing.
2. A pair of ballet flats for all-day wear and airport travel. Ballet flats are easy to slip on and off while going through airport security and are sophisticated enough for a culture tour through museums, galleries and city walks. Find a neutral color that will pair with anything in your travel wardrobe. Word of caution: not all ballet flats are created equal. Look for ones with a contoured arch and deep heel cup to support the curves of your feet and promote natural alignment.
3. A pair of wedges for outings that call for a little more elegance. If your vacation includes fancy dinners or a more glamorous look, reach for a pair of wedges. They'll instantly elevate your look while keeping your feet firmly planted on the ground—Cobblestones? Grass? No problem! Find a pair with a deep heel cup for stability and arch support to evenly distribute pressure across your entire foot.
Bonus Tip: Is your vacation taking you to the beach? Slip a pair of low-profile flip-flops with arch support into your bag. They're thin enough to easily fit in your suitcase, yet have a contoured arch to support your feet in comfort. Check out more comfortable walking sandals in the styles you love.
Posted 3/6/2017 12:00:00 AM By: : 24,646 views
What if you were told there's one thing you can do that will benefit your entire being—mind, body and soul? From mental health to physical health, sleep and so much more, this one thing has proven to be beneficial. Not only that, but it's also free, easy to do and safe. Pretty exciting, right? Well, what is it? It's walking! Integrative medicine expert and Vionic Innovation Lab member Dr. Andrew Weil expounds on the merits of walking and why you should make time for it in your daily life.
Posted 2/6/2017 12:00:00 AM By: : 43,104 views
If you’ve ever gone to a gym the first few weeks of January, you know the scene: Jam-packed exercise classes and every piece of equipment in use with bright-eyed, highly motivated gym-goers wearing their brand-new workout clothes they received for Christmas. But come February, the gym returns to its pre-New Year’s state of the loyal faithful who have made working out a top priority in their life for the long-term–not as a short-term resolution. Hey, we’ve all been there! And that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t set resolutions. They’re a great way to recalibrate your brain and decide what you want to focus on for the upcoming year. So, go ahead and set those resolutions, but make sure to follow our 10 tips for sticking to your fitness goals for a full 365 days.
Posted 1/9/2017 12:00:00 AM By: : 19,760 views
The holiday season is nearly upon us. For many people, it can be a time of elevated stress from the near-constant parade of parties, holiday shopping, family get-togethers and travel. We’re also more likely to dump our healthy good intentions when it comes to food choices and exercising (who can resist that extra slice of pumpkin pie?). That’s why it’s so important to put extra focus on both your physical and mental health now instead of waiting to start your New Year’s resolutions on January 1st. Luckily, fitness expert, celebrity trainer and Vionic Innovation Lab member Juliet Kaska is here to offer a few helpful tips to get you through the holidays feeling your best.
Posted 11/1/2016 12:00:00 AM By: : 21,509 views
Enjoy a Stress-Free Holiday in 30 Days with the #ZenFitness30: Fit in Fitness for the Holidays Challenge
Let's face it, the holidays are a stressful time of year. Finding time to fit everything in—family, friends, parties, gifts, kids' activities and other seasonal engagements—can add up and make the holidays much less enjoyable. Wouldn't it be wonderful if you could carve out a little time for yourself each day so you can step back and enjoy the spirit of the season this year?
Posted 11/1/2016 12:00:00 AM By: : 15,554 views
"Flats are better than heels." "All sneakers are created equal." "NEVER wear flip-flops." "It’s better to go barefoot at home." We've all heard these misconceptions before. We're here to set the record straight and help you learn exactly what to look for in every type of shoe in your closet.
Posted 10/3/2016 12:00:00 AM By: : 24,303 views
We've heard about the importance of proper workout footwear from medical professionals, magazines, friends, family and so many other sources. We get it! Running and walking require specially formulated shoes, while cross-trainers are more appropriate for the gym or a fitness class. But what happens to our feet after exercise?
As it turns out, there are some steps we should all be taking to ensure that our feet remain in tip-top shape after a workout. We asked podiatrist Dr. Jackie Sutera and doctor of physical therapy Brian Hoke, both of the Vionic Innovation Lab, for some insight into post-workout foot recovery. Here are their simple (yet indispensable) tips.
Cooldown stretching–here’s what to do after a workout to salvage your soles:
- Massage the soles of your feet by running the arch of your foot over a golf ball or other physical therapy ball on the floor to stretch out the fascia (i.e., the ligament that runs from the heel of your foot to your toes and can become inflamed, causing plantar fasciitis).
- In addition to stretching the feet, loosening your calf muscles is a must, Hoke tells Shape.com. "A common mistake is to allow the arches to fall while stretching the calf muscle. It causes stress that can aggravate foot problems, like heel pain and plantar fasciitis."
Address these common post-workout foot issues:
- Blisters: Pad, bandage and avoid the blister until it heals. If you must, clean a safety pin with alcohol and make a small hole to drain it, being careful not to pull off skin. Then, apply an antibiotic ointment to the area and bandage it.
- Calluses: Lightly buff the affected area with a foot file and then cover with a foot cream that contains salicylic acid, lactic acid or urea.
- Athlete's foot: Dry the feet very well after showering, and use medicated foot powder and topical anti-fungal ointments as directed.
- Heel Pain: Ice feet after working out and wear shoes with arch support even around the house. Don't go barefoot, as hard surfaces like wood or tile will exacerbate the pain.
Looking for a pair of post-recovery sandals? Our favorite Vionic Tide flip-flop is a favorite for a reason: The pronounced arch support and deep heel cup provide just the right amount of support and is proven to help alleviate heel pain.* And with over 20 colors and patterns to choose from, you’re sure to find your perfect pair.
About Vionic Footwear
Developed by Phillip Vasyli, renowned Australian podiatrist and founder of Orthaheel® Technology, all Vionic shoes help restore natural foot function and relieve heel pain, promoting a more active lifestyle. Vionic’s footwear and orthotic inserts are also endorsed by noted integrative medicine expert Dr. Andrew Weil. For additional information about Vionic, please visit VionicShoes.com.
*Based on a peer-reviewed clinical study partially funded by Vionic on people experiencing moderate, non-traumatic heel pain.
Posted 9/6/2016 12:00:00 AM By: : 16,905 views
We’ve all heard the song, “The foot bone’s connected to the leg bone. The leg bone’s connected to the knee bone…” And it’s true! The study of biomechanics has proven that everything is interconnected, and when there’s a misalignment in one part of the body, it can travel up your body and affect other areas. What causes this misalignment? Prolonged periods of standing or walking on concrete can cause the foot to over-pronate, resulting in the ankle rolling inwards and the arch collapsing. That’s why it’s so important to wear the best shoes for standing on concrete when you’re constantly walking on hard surfaces.
Posted 8/2/2016 12:00:00 AM By: : 32,777 views
Whether you have a little or a lot of weight you're determined to lose, it's difficult not to get stuck focusing on the big picture. What will you look like when you lose 10, 20, 30 or more pounds? You can probably envision your finish line and know you want to get there, but the "how" you'll get there can sometimes seem insurmountable. Weight loss works best when you take one day at a time. So how can you start making good choices today, and how can you prepare now for a healthier tomorrow?
Posted 8/1/2016 11:00:00 PM By: : 27,636 views
Traveling and exploring are some of the best parts about summer, but walking long distances and standing (hello, airport security lines!) can take a toll on your feet. We spoke with Vionic Innovation Lab experts Dr. Jackie Sutera and Brian Hoke, DPT about how you can preserve the health of your feet while enjoying a jam-packed schedule of summer travel.
Posted 7/5/2016 12:00:00 AM By: : 18,772 views
Finding time for fitness can itself feel as exhausting as a workout. You know that you could fit it in if it weren't for the lack of time, sleep or motivation; the never-ending household chores, grocery shopping or work deadlines; or the demands of the kids' schedules, spending time with your significant other or even just relaxing time just for yourself.
If this cycle sounds familiar, rest assured in the knowledge that not only are you not alone, but there are effective ways to get moving no matter how jam-packed your calendar. We're here to help you find time to fit in fitness and healthy living wherever you are throughout the day for the next 30 days. We’ve partnered with Vionic® with Orthaheel® Technology footwear to bring you the 30-Day #Find30: Home.Work.Play. Challenge! By joining the challenge, you will receive a foolproof plan to help you squeeze 30 minutes of daily fitness into your home, work or play time for the next 30 consecutive days.
Posted 7/1/2016 12:00:00 AM By: : 10,156 views
Losing weight is difficult—and once you do, keeping those pounds off can be even harder. No need to be discouraged, after all, it’s not impossible. Take it from someone who works with patients trying to achieve this very goal every day.
Posted 6/20/2016 12:00:00 AM By: : 42,733 views
Losing weight and keeping it off can be a challenge at any time of the year, but in the summer months it can be particularly trying when travel and social events quickly fill up the calendar and you can't even begin to think about wearing a bathing suit. With the right tools in place, though, you can stay on track without sacrificing the fun.
Posted 6/15/2016 12:00:00 AM By: : 17,275 views
As flip-flop season ramps up, it's important to keep in mind that not all of them are created equal, according to Vionic Innovation Lab expert and NYC podiatrist Dr. Jackie Sutera. Find out why flat flip-flops can be hazardous to your foot health and steps you can take to alleviate the risks.
Posted 6/2/2016 12:00:00 AM By: : 47,209 views
Read More Entries ›