Eating Healthy at Starbucks
From SparkPeople’s Editors
Starbucks offers far more than coffee. In addition to bakery items, you can grab a nutritious breakfast and plenty of other quick snacks. Opt for lighter coffee drinks, but remember that you shouldn't be drinking most of your calories.
- Grab breakfast with your morning cup of joe. Choose a bowl of oatmeal with your choice of dried fruit, nuts and/or brown sugar; the Power Protein Plate with cheddar cheese, fresh fruit and a hard-boiled egg; or a whole wheat bagel with peanut butter. Calories for these breakfasts range from 140-330, with 2.5-16.0 g of fat.
- While muffins, Danish, donuts and breakfast breads are delicious, they are also very high in fat and calories and are not the best choices.
- Brewed coffee (black) and teas have little to no calories. It's extras like milk, sugar, flavored syrups and whipped cream that add up--especially in blended and specialty drinks. "Hold the whip," to save 80-130 calories and 8-12 g of fat. Ask for reduced fat or skim milk instead of whole milk and you'll save up to 140 calories and 19 g of fat, depending on the size of your drink. For added flavor without calories or fat, try a sugar-free syrup.
- If you are interested in a little more flavor from your hot coffee or tea, here are the lowest-calorie "tall" (12 fl oz) options:
- Nonfat Tazo Green Tea Latte (130 calories, 0 g fat)
- Nonfat Cappuccino (80 calories, 0 g fat)
- Nonfat Caffe Latte (120 calories, 0 g fat)
- Nonfat Sugar-Free Vanilla Latte (120 calories, 0 g fat)
- Steamed Apple Cider (180 calories, 0 g fat)
- Caffe Americano (10 calories, 0 g fat)
- If you want chilled beverage on a warm day, try these "tall" (12 fl oz) coffees and teas:
- Light Blend Coffee Frappuccino (110 calories, 1 g fat)
- Light Blend Coffee Caramel Frappuccino (140 calories, 1.5 g fat)
- Shaken Tazo Iced Passion Tea (60 calories, 0 g fat)
- Shaken Tazo Iced Black Tea Lemonade (90 calories, 0 g fat)
- Nonfat Iced Vanilla Latte (120 calories, 0 g fat)
- Nonfat Iced Caramel Macchiato (140 calories, 1 g fat)
- Iced Coffee with syrup added (60 calories, 0 g fat)
- Starbucks provides nutrition info on its website.