Secrets of Success

Intertrigo, Never Heard Of It? Check This Out...



Intertrigo is the "official" name of the red/ raw looking /painful /sore /inflamed/ oozing skin condition some of us may get in our skin folds. It may appear between your tummy & legs if you have a "dunlop" there (as I do), or under your breasts, between your legs, sometimes between your toes and other places where skin may rub against skin. It can be fungal, bacterial or viral. It is worth getting it checked out by a physician. You now have the "official" term to use to tell them about it

More Information:

I can generally keep control of my skin problems with a zinc oxide containing diaper cream (see a previous secret of mine) but on occasion I need to get it looked at. I had no idea that it's official term was "Intertrigo" though. Wish it was addressed in "Health A-Z" here on SP.

This Sparked Me! Leave a Comment
Please note these are member-submitted secrets and are not reviewed by SparkPeople's health experts for accuracy. If you feel a secret is inappropriate, please click Report Inappropriate Secret and our staff will review it.

Member Comments

  • i'd also like to add that I've always been SO embarrassed to talk to my doctor about this, because, you know, it feels like a "fat people problem", but the minute I brought it up, she said, "Oh, please -- I must have at least three to five patients come to me with this every day" So -- it's really really common. No need for embarrassment. emoticon - by PUFFPASTRY
  • If it's a fungal infection, usually an anti-fungal cream such as lotrimin or lamisil will clean it up quickly. If non prescription ointments, creams etc don't work, there are oral tablets the doctor can prescribe.

    One medicated powder I really like is "Cuticura". It doesn't give a burning sensation and discomfort like some others can. It also doesn't have an antiseptic medication type smell to it. If you can't find it in the drug store, it's available online from or alternatively I think also sells it. I'm not familiar with the other products they make, but I'm sure they'd be just as gentle on sensitive skin as the powder is. - by SLAVICGODDESS
  • I have tried powders before and, for me, that can add to the discomfort. Works for the feet but on the tops of my thighs, under my tummy, it is too sensitive for powders. I used to be able to use zinc oxide cream but that has recently changed so I think that something has changed with mine and I will be addressing it with my doctor next week. - by WINTERWINGS
    If this is a fungal condition, one EASY fix is to dust the affected area with a medicated food powder. - by MYINNERDIVA
    You know I thought I was the only one who suffered from this "fat people problem" as a matter of fact, when I confronted one doctor about this, in her notes she actually did write "due to morbid obesity!" So, I did the only thing I could do and never went back to her again. I found someone with a little more compassion. And now, I have it more or less under control, and with all the suggestions you all have provided, I feel I will never suffer again. Thank you all. emoticon emoticon - by FREIDASTUPKA

Leave a Comment

Leave encouragement, a question, or anything else relevant to this. All comments must abide by SparkPeople's Community Guidelines.

Log in to post a comment.