Group photo
Author:
TSNO222's Photo TSNO222 SparkPoints: (0)
Fitness Minutes: (0)
Posts: 27
1/17/07 5:56 P

My SparkPage
Send Private Message
Reply
Oh sure! But in my experience, it's a slippery slope. Remember how many diets I failed with last year? Yeah they were 80-20 or 90-10 diets. I feel now in retrospect that they may have been me giving myself permission to break plan and one thing led to another and I was eating cupcakes and ice cream again.
But if it works for you and it helps you stick to plan then I say go for it. Everyone has different experiences and relationships with food.

Edited by: TSNO222 at: 1/17/2007 (17:56)
KMEMN1's Photo KMEMN1 Posts: 357
1/17/07 5:51 P

Send Private Message
Reply
Yeah, but even going beyond that...

I don't exactly know how to explain what I'm getting at. Maybe it's just - if I'm eating well 90% of the time, is it ok to have crap the other 10% of the time?



TSNO222's Photo TSNO222 SparkPoints: (0)
Fitness Minutes: (0)
Posts: 27
1/17/07 5:49 P

My SparkPage
Send Private Message
Reply
yeah, I don't think the english muffin is gonna make or break you or anything, but there is a difference in the quality of the calories and the effect those calories have on how you process them. But as long as you don't let price be the excuse you use to eat food that have more empty calories, I think it's fine.

MPLSMAY's Photo MPLSMAY Posts: 73
1/17/07 5:36 P

Send Private Message
Reply
I don't think anybody could tell you with a straight face that 1 english muffin a day makes a difference.




 current weight: 169.0 
175
166.25
157.5
148.75
140
KMEMN1's Photo KMEMN1 Posts: 357
1/17/07 2:28 P

Send Private Message
Reply
But is that one english muffin a day really going to make a difference?

If I eat bread I eat all WW breads - I'm not opposed to whole wheat stuff - just paying $2.00+ for ww english muffins. Ha!

MPLSMAY's Photo MPLSMAY Posts: 73
1/17/07 2:22 P

Send Private Message
Reply
Actually, I have heard that the Plus pasta is just fine in terms of nutrition. I keep meaning to pick some up and forgetting.

It took me a while to figure out who TSNO222 is, but I got it now! And you're right on with the analysis of healthy vs. empty calories.




 current weight: 169.0 
175
166.25
157.5
148.75
140
TSNO222's Photo TSNO222 SparkPoints: (0)
Fitness Minutes: (0)
Posts: 27
1/17/07 2:16 P

My SparkPage
Send Private Message
Reply
in the end, a cal is a cal in regards to weight loss. BUT a healthy cal vs an empty cal does matter to your body. 5 cals a sugar vs 5 cals of veggies which brings with it fiber/vitamins etc is many many times better for you calorie for calorie...plus the 5 cals of sugar will effect your insulin making you feel hungry faster and making it harder in the long run to stick to your cals.
Did that make sense... emoticon

But I think the Plus pasta is ok. I don't care for WW pasta either. But for the most part, it will help you in the long run to train your taste buds to like ww products by adding them in slowly. White bread pretty much acts like pure sugar when it hits your body.

KMEMN1's Photo KMEMN1 Posts: 357
1/17/07 2:03 P

Send Private Message
Reply
I have a question....

So, I know the whole "eating right" thing - whole grains, lean meats, fruits veggies - all that.

My question is - if you're staying in your calorie range, and are satisfied - how much does it REALLY matter?

For example, for breakfast most days I have a white english muffin with 1Tbs. cream cheese. These packs of english muffins cost like $0.89. The whole wheat english muffins are $2.00+. (I'm cheap)

I am satisfied and don't get hungry from what I eat now - other than adding a bit more fiber - is it really THAT much better for me??


The same goes for spaghetti. I have some Barilla Plus or something spaghetti - it's got like 6g. fiber, plus Omega-3s and all that good stuff. The Whole Wheat pasta I have has only 4g. fiber and probably no omega-3s (or who knows, maybe all pasta does). I prefer the Barilla stuff - don't care too much for the WW texture - so is it REALLY that much different if I eat that compared to the WW?

I'm talking mainly for weight loss here - in the end is a calorie a calorie?

Edited by: KMEMN1 at: 1/17/2007 (14:07)
Page: 1 of (1)  

Report Innappropriate Post

Other All That Glitters General Team Discussion Forum Posts

Topics:
Last Post:

Related Topics: Best and Worst Meat Choices  

Thread URL: https://www.sparkpeople.com/myspark/team_messageboard_thread.asp?board=0x7064x4443413

Review our Community Guidelines