Group photo
Author:
SUZZQ4LIFE's Photo SUZZQ4LIFE Posts: 1,232
2/16/14 11:31 A

Send Private Message
Reply
What an eye opener. This should be sent out to all friends and family by way of e-mails too. Now I know why my jars "blow up" when I heat them in the microwave to get hot when I'm canning during the summer. No more of doing that for sure!!

 current weight: 156.4 
170
162.5
155
147.5
140
PLUSNOMORE5 Posts: 6,190
2/19/13 10:47 A

My SparkPage
Send Private Message
Reply
Thank you Whitneyteacher for the warning about boiling water. I don't, but will pass it on to those who might. You probly have saved a lot of people from being burned. Thank you!

PATJOHNS1's Photo PATJOHNS1 Posts: 6,226
2/19/13 10:29 A

My SparkPage
Send Private Message
Reply
THANKS SO MUCH FOR POSTING THIS. I AM ONEOF THOSE WHO MICROWAVE WATER. I WILL FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS IN THE POST.

The first step in getting somewhere is by deciding not to stay where you're at.


 Pounds lost: 33.2 
0
8.75
17.5
26.25
35
WHITNEYTEACHER's Photo WHITNEYTEACHER Posts: 6,266
2/19/13 10:14 A

My SparkPage
Send Private Message
Reply
I use powdered chicken bouillon and it does the same thing when I add it to hot (evidently VERY hot) water. I never put together why until I read the post. Glad I decided to read some other team postings today.

Edited by: WHITNEYTEACHER at: 2/19/2013 (10:15)
My name is Carolyn
(Whitney is my last name, I'm a retired high school biology teacher = WHITNEYTEACHER)
Grants Pass, Oregon



 Pounds lost: 4.0 
0
14
28
42
56
SUGARSMOM2 SparkPoints: (252,003)
Fitness Minutes: (222,629)
Posts: 10,981
2/19/13 9:04 A

My SparkPage
Send Private Message
Reply
I heat a cup of water everyday for my tea . I have noticed that when i drop the tea bag in the cup it starts to boil and sizzle for a few seconds . this might be my warning to stop doing this stunt.

sugarsmom2 donna wva


 current weight: 221.0 
265
236
207
178
149
WHITNEYTEACHER's Photo WHITNEYTEACHER Posts: 6,266
2/19/13 8:40 A

My SparkPage
Send Private Message
Reply
I just read this post on the "Seniors 60+ - Fit For Life" team page and thought it was worth passing along. Something that makes sense to me once I read it but that I hadn't thought of before - very dangerous:

A 26-year old man decided to have a cup of coffee. He took a cup of water and put it in the microwave to heat it up (something that he had done numerous times before). I am not sure how long he set the timer for, but he wanted to bring the water to a boil. When the timer shut the oven off, he removed the cup from the oven. As he looked into the cup, he noted that the water was not boiling, but suddenly the water in the cup 'blew up' into his face. The cup remained intact until he threw it out of his hand, but all the water had flown out into his face due to the build-up of energy. His whole face is blistered and he has 1st and 2nd degree burns to his face which may leave scarring.

He also may have lost partial sight in his left eye. While at the hospital, the doctor who was attending to him stated that this is a fairly common occurrence and water (alone) should never be heated in a microwave oven. If water is heated in this manner, something should be placed in the cup to diffuse the energy such as a wooden stir stick, tea bag, etc, (nothing metal).

General Electric's Response:

Thanks for contacting us; I will be happy to assist you. The e-mail that you received is correct. Microwaved water and other liquids do not always bubble when they reach boiling point. They can actually get superheated and not bubble at all. The superheated liquid will bubble up out of the cup when it is moved or when something like a spoon or tea bag is put into it.

To prevent this from happening and causing injury, do not heat any liquid for more than two minutes per cup. After heating, let the cup stand in the microwave for thirty seconds before moving it or adding anything into it.

Here is what a local high school science teacher had to say on the matter: 'Thanks for the microwave warning. I have seen this happen before. It is caused by a phenomenon known as super heating. It can occur any time water is heated and will particularly occur if the vessel that the water is heated in is new, or when heating a small amount of water (less than half a cup).

What happens is that the water heats faster than the vapor bubbles can form. If the cup is very new, then it is unlikely to have small surface scratches inside it that provide a place for the bubbles to form. As the bubbles cannot form and release some of the heat that has built up, the liquid does not boil, and the liquid continues to heat up well past its boiling point.

What then usually happens is that the liquid is bumped or jarred, which is just enough of a shock to cause the bubbles to rapidly form and expel the hot liquid. The rapid formation of bubbles is also why a carbonated beverage spews when opened afterhaving been shaken.

If you pass this on, you could very well save someone from a lot of pain and suffering.

My name is Carolyn
(Whitney is my last name, I'm a retired high school biology teacher = WHITNEYTEACHER)
Grants Pass, Oregon



 Pounds lost: 4.0 
0
14
28
42
56
Page: 1 of (1)  

Report Innappropriate Post

Other Active Seniors General Team Discussion Forum Posts

Topics:
Last Post:



Thread URL: https://www.sparkpeople.com/myspark/team_messageboard_thread.asp?board=0x16455x52188757

Review our Community Guidelines