I remember when my daughter was 4 1/2 yrs old I had put the frypan with oil on the stove for chips. I forgot about it and the next thing there was a bang. I rushed into the kitchen to see flames. My young daughter came into the kitchen, took one look and yelled "FIRE - EVERYBODY OUT!!"
She then turned to her two little neighbour playmates who had not long shifted in next door. She told them, "You have to be very careful with fire because it can burn your house down like you burned your house down."
I really laughed at that, because THAT was why they were living next door. The two young children had found a cigarette lighter and went to wake their father to give it to him, but he was a potter, and had sat up all night watching the kiln (for safety) and had fallen into a deep sleep once the kiln was finished. He was too tired to wake, so the kids started to play with it. Next thing the lost everything in the fire. Their father did wake pretty quickly at that time, tho' LOL!
If this ever happens again, and you can do it safely, put a lid over the fire....!! Glad it turned out only to be a great "attention grabbing Lesson" for you. We've probably all "been there, done that"... or we are just waiting to join the club. Anymore, if I am at all tired or distracted, I set a timer to get my attention.
Take care, patti
Patti "The only thing we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." Gandalf: Lord of the Rings
I was about to fry an egg to go with my dry instant noodles. I used a too small frying pan and I put in too much oil. I turned on the gas fire and went to prepare my noodles.
When I went to the pan with my egg, I realized that the pan was on fire! My first instinct was to douse it with water, but I remembered an episode of a Korean drama where the novice chef was berated for attempting to do that because it would have resulted in an explosion! So, I waited for the oil to burn off then dumped the little pan in the sink.
I got a bigger pan and fried my egg. I then had my lunch. I was thinking to wash up later but somehow I felt that I should do it NOW. So I did, it was then I realized I forgot to turn off the gas fire!!!
I dread to think what could have happened if I had been too lazy to clean up NOW!!! Clearly God was looking out for me!
Worse case scenario : I could have burned the house down! A not so bad scenario : I could have finished my Mom's new tank of gas needlessly and that would have made her REALLY angry!!!!