I was curious wether I manage to beat 2000 km in 2020 or not.
I did it!
All the rides were in Brussels, commuting.
The highlight months were May, June, and October:
- May was somehow a nice month ride, good weather, wanting to do exercise.
- June was another month I felt like riding a lot.
- October was the VeloMai campaign [we shifted from May to October], and it did help a lot to take part of the movement.
There were a four months when I didn't ride as much as I wanted:
- January, caught a little cold
- March, first month of lockdown, we stayed home all the time
- August, on holiday in Hungary, without a bike
- November, caught a cold again
All in all, it was a nice year for exercise.
I had better years before, but with all the struggle we had this year, living in the city centre, with two children, two lockdowns, I think I did quite well.
When I had a successful and happy year, living in the countrise among pine trees and apple fields, without children - somehow I don't manage to reach that level of exercise again.
I think it was a good decision to do all commutes this year by bike, to do more exercise.
Even though, we had the lockdown, and worked from home since March, I still had a lot of trips around the city.
Shopping, going to the playground with my children, occasional meeting with a few friends (when it was possible), brining things to the charity, the recycling park, and a few rides for exploring new paths.
This way, I cycled every week around 3-5h at least, sometimes more, without extra appointment for exercise in my calendar.
One resolution for next year: keep up the good work, and commute 100% bike in Brussels.
Do you commute by bike?
How many hours a week do you ride?