I am back sparking after taking a two month break, so I did not make any goals for March. Our friends from Pennsylvania rented a house here in our Florida community, so I expected to be busy with them all month long. We did several fun things before the coronavirus pandemic hit - went to an Eagles cover band show, to a Phillies spring training game, out to dinner and to a couple gatherings at our friends' houses. But then the last half of the month we have been staying home as much as possible and have not seen those friends at all.
Now that I am back doing the Aspire and Inspire Team's Buddy Support challenge for the month of April, I have to get in the habit of writing daily posts and weekly blogs again. I've been thinking about what my goals will be, and I came to this conclusion. During this crazy, anxious time of the pandemic, I think it's important for me to focus on staying safe and healthy but also realize that it's okay if I don't make the specific nutrition and exercise goals that I normally do. My goal is to get through the month as best I can, trying to stay positive and grateful each day, and to find a variety of things to do to keep my body, mind and spirit healthy. I originally thought that being home so much this month, I could get a lot of things accomplished. But I'm finding it very hard to focus some days. I found this article that eased my mind that it's okay not to be that productive at this stressful time.
So, instead of writing detailed and specific goals for April, I decided to just make a general list of things I can do to be safe, healthy and positive this month, taking one day at a time!
1. Eat nutritious homemade meals and snacks, focusing on eating mindfully with moderate portions - catch myself if I start to do any mindless, emotional eating. I have decided not to be on strict low carb/keto at this time.
2. Keep hydrated with water by my side.
3. Be active as much as possible, taking walks and doing my PT shoulder exercises.
4. Focus on the beauty of nature and wildlife during this wonderful time of year! Take lots of pictures!
5. Be grateful and thank God for all of my blessings each day. Pray for all the health care workers and those infected with and affected by Covid-19.
6. Keep myself and the house clean and free from germs by washing hands, sanitizing and practicing social distancing.
7. Keep in contact with friends and family on a daily basis through texts and phone calls. Be helpful in any way I can, showing caring and positivity. Enjoy time with my husband and son.
8. Stay away from the news for a good portion of the day. Check on the virus update in the morning and evening only. Only look at positive and funny things on social media!
8. Do a variety of activities during the day that keep me happy and stress-free: for me that is mostly reading, writing and painting.
9. Work on getting a good night’s sleep and rest during the day, when I need it.
That's all I can think of for now. I wish everyone here on SparkPeople a positive month of self-care and good health!