Big day today, I travel out amongst my fellow humans to get the main grocery supplies for the next month! I wasn't going to go to the store I typically go to for the big shop, simply because it is sooo crowded. I haven't been in almost 6 weeks, so I questioned the online neighborhood group for recent reports -- and I heard good things. They only allow 25 people in the store at any given time, and if you go early there is no line to get in. Everything is kept fully stocked and sanitized. Staff wears masks (I'm guessing fabric) and has shields between the customer and cashier. It's an employee-owned company, which is likely why they are putting the health of their staff first, which also helps put customer health first. So I will give it a try, but if there is a huge line to get in I will leave and go to my usual not-very-busy but so much more expensive local grocery!
I have my own fabric mask and a small bottle of sanitizer (pilfered from our camping supplies), so I'll do my best to stay healthy and not spread anything in the not highly likely case that I am currently asymptomatic. I mean, it's been 20 days since I have been around others outside my household (and they've only been around me), bar grocery shopping, and I'm careful when shopping, I've been going to the half empty local store, and I've been doing self checkout, so my exposure is very limited. Strange times!
As for the good, there is always some :)
* Got through work again, even though I was really not feeling it. Too much fun the evening before so I was sleepy, but I powered through!
* I went on a run, too! I wanted to but also didn't want to, due to the aforementioned sleepiness. I'm glad I did, though. I enjoyed it and felt better after it!
* I finally did laundry, yay! The good part is I put it off for an extra week because some of us are spending days in pajamas so we just haven't as much to do. Putting it off until I have full loads saves money, since we pay by the load.
* My stipend was increased back to its previous level due to the emergency, so I don't have to stress as much about the grocery budget!
* Cats, oh my goodness cats! Other than a run and laundry, I spent most of the day on the couch with my laptop working. I had a parade of fluffballs come through to warm my lap. Those lovely, purring mounds of wonderful!
* And birds! I went out on the balcony to listen to the evening bird chorus. Robin took the lead, but there were so many others and many I couldn't identify. Robin, though, he sat on a branch no more than three feet from where I was and regaled me with his evening tune for a full 10 minutes. So lovely!
* Our local noxious weed board. I had called in a huge patch of poison hemlock that was obstructing a trail head. I had offered to remove it, since I am a steward for the trail, but wanted guidance on the preferred control method. Instead, the weed board got someone out to pull them AND they put in a couple of native ferns to help prevent them from coming back. Wonderful!
* Creative dinners that are really good. We are low and out of a few key things. We could theoretically eat for a couple more weeks from the pantry, but extreme creativity would be needed. Last night required some creativity. I mixed a couple of diced potatoes with a couple of diced summer squashes, then tossed them with some bread crumbs, spices, and nutritional yeast. It baked up into a delicious gratin that will be on the menu again. We also had four hot dog buns left and a small amount of the vegan bacon I made, so I turned the buns into mini BLTs. A delicious dinner, after all :)
Whether you are spending time at home, braving a grocery store, or still working in an essential job, I wish you health and a bit of joy today and everyday!