A New Decade
Saturday, January 11, 2020
2019 started off fine, but I got side-tracked by some personal issues.
I never completely gave up; I just didn’t remain as consistent as I was the previous year.
I was so sporadic about my nutrition and exercise that I re-gained about half of the weight I lost in 2018. I just lost focus.
I’m trying to rebuild that routine back into my life. I’m using many of the techniques our trainer taught us in 2018 and I’m incorporating some new systems that support those techniques. Our trainer frequently reminded us to work with intensity for short periods of time. The typical work out was:
* 10 minute warm up,
* 5 minute bag work or shadow boxing
* 20 minute high intensity interval work
* 5 - 10 minute stretching
The bag work/shadow boxing and high intensity interval work were different every class. He purposely changed things up so our bodies didn’t adjust to one specific workout. Once a month we did fitness testing.
That program was the most successful one I’ve ever tried. I lost some weight, I lost a lot of fat and I ate real food (limiting very processed food items). It was hard work, but it was a great year and I was proud of my accomplishments.
I point all this out because I need the reminder, I accomplished so much more than I ever thought I was capable of achieving. I miss the classes; our trainer and my classmates were so supportive throughout the year. However I’m strong enough to do that again, on my own. A few of those classmates and I still reach out and even occasionally get together. We’ve all moved on to a different phase of our lives; some relocated, but we still support each other in living our best lives.
I’m proud that:
* I never gave up, even though I struggled throughout 2019.
* I can still do the bag work/shadow boxing.
* I retained the mobility and flexibility I gained in 2018.
* I can still make it through that work out…at home, without the support of my trainer and classmates.
* I am incorporating planned workouts back into my daily life.
* I still find that I’m stronger than I thought!
I can do this and continue to get stronger.