Today is the start of my going sugar and flour free - so as I have finished eating for the day thought I would do my blog.
I don't think this is necessarily going to be the easiest journey - more so at the beginning - but as time goes by I should become more natural.
The day has gone well, Started with going to TOPS and getting weighed in. Not a nice number (was up) but I am taking it as 1st weighin as today is Day 1 of program. Though this program does not talk about doing any 'exercise' I will be recording my steps with my pedometer. I start that fresh tomorrow with the goal of getting in at least 1,200 steps and working up to getting in 2,000 daily.
When I go to TOPS I do not eat as I will be getting weighed - so Tuesdays it is more like Breakfast / Lunch at 11:15 and then Supper at 5:30.
My breakfast / lunch on Tuesday's is usually at Denny's Restaurant so last night I went online to have a better look at the menu. I then went to my paper journal and recorded what I would order for that meal and also what I would have for Supper.
This is what today's food looked like
Breakfast / lunch
1 protein = 2 poached eggs
1 breakfast grain = red potatoes about 4 oz = I took 1/2 of them and put them aside so that on my plate there was only about 2 oz. I did this as they were fried and I am not sure with what.
1 fruit = I order fresh seasonal fruit
Supper consisted of
1 protein = 4 oz grilled skinless chicken with lots of garlic (this was left over from yesterday)
6 oz veggys = this was mixed veggys served with lots of garlic and 1 teaspoon of butter
8 oz salad: spinach, cucumbers, tomato with 1 tablespoon thousand island dressing (fat)
1 fruit = an orange (am allowed 2 fruits one at breakfast and one at lunch but for Tuesdays one will be at supper)
1 fat = see re salad
What I have discovered about todays food
1) for the salad I would prefer to just go tomato, cucumbers and celery and possibly a little onion. Spinach upset the stomach a little. I am also going to cut in in half going for 4 - 5 oz till I get used to eating it
2) while on the weight loss part of this program I should be having 1 breakfast grain at breakfast. I am used to having 2 hard boiled eggs and an orange and am completely full not needing or craving any food till lunch - usually about 4 hours later. Therefore I am going to look at putting the 1 grain at supper - if it seems that my weight does not come off as it should I will rework putting it back to breakfast.
3) I am not used to having so much veggs in one day - 6 oz at lunch and 6 oz at supper plus a salad. Because I have IBS veggs tend to cause digestive problems so I am thinking might reduce it from 6 oz down to 4 oz for each meal for 7 days and then increase it to 5 oz for 7 days and then up to 6 oz - this way my digestive system will be getting used to it and hopefully I won't have any IBS problems. At the same time I will be noting how each veggy reacts - usually a veggy will react the same day causing an IBS attack so should this happen then I know to definitely stay away from that veggy - at least till I have lost a considerable amount of weight.
I am also going to make up some dressings for the salad - there are a number in the cookbook that I am going to try.
Also with this program we are asked to keep a journal of the food (as I have outlined above) as well as listing 3 things I am grateful for that given day. I am in the habit of doing that so all is good there. The program also suggest keeping a journal of how you felt each day - so one side of my paper journal consists of the food and the 3 things I am grateful for and the other side will be comments about the day - how I liked the food what I might change and so on. I have the paper journal set up for 7 days (next Tuesday). Also on the journal I will be recording the steps I take every day using my pedometer - tomorrow November 6 will be the first day that I will record that.
This afternoon my sweet hubby decided he wanted to make an apple pie - I reminded him that I would not be eating any of it - and he asked when I would be able to do so - and I said I was not sure but that I knew that from today till Christmas I definitely did not want to eat any sugar or flour - and he agreed. Said he would gently remind me that I was not to have sugar or flour should I ask for a desert.
Part of this plan is 3 meals evenly spaced with no snacks - and when I look at the amount of food at each meal truthfully no snacks should be necessary.
One thing our family likes is sauces over our chicken and veggys. I have look at the cookbook and found the following one which I am going to make up this week. Here it is
Peppers and Tomato Sauce Number of Servings Multiple Serving Size 2 ounces
Each serving size provides
o vegetables 0 fruit 0 protein 0 fat 0 grain
6 Roma tomatoes, halved
8 small tomatillos, halved (not sure what these are so will have to look them up)
1 yellow onion, chopped
One 1 pound bag small yellow, orange, and red peppers, seeded and halved.
4 garlic cloves
Pinch each of salt and black pepper
1 bunch cilantro
1 lime, juiced
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F
Place the tomatoes, tomatillos, onion, peppers, and garlic on a baking sheet and lightly spray with cooking spray. Season with salt and pepper
Roast for 1 hour
Transfer the roasted vegetables to a mixed bowl and add the cilantro and lime juice. Blend with an immersion blender. If you don't have an immersion blender, allow the vegetables to cool and then blend in a high speed blender or food processors.
NOTE: Two ounces of this is a condiment. You can use more and count it as part of your vegetable serving.
3 things I am grateful for today are
1) grateful that I have been success today with new program
2) grateful that eating out at the restaurant went well today
3) grateful that I have not had a reaction to the veggys causing an IBS attack or an acid reflex attack
My streaks as of today are
Day 1 of blogging going sugar / flour free
Day 45 of logging onto Sparkpeople
Day 45 of tracking all food and water
Day 45 of reading the Bible with my husband
Virtual Walk Across Canada Part 1 Vancouver Island Port Hardy BC to Port McNeil = 27 miles = completed
Virtual Walk Across Canada Part 2 Vancouver Island Port McNeil to Campbell River BC = 17 miles = 14 miles completed