It is official that it is now 31 days that I left Sparkpeople (closed my account) and rejoined making up a new Sparkpage. Reason: I just felt I was getting nowhere, though I did have a lot of good tools and information I just was not really putting them into practice. So I decided to 'start over' with everything - new account, new Sparkpage.
And it has been the best thing for me. I have learned a lot about myself during this 1st month. I came to understand life is not just about food - there are other parts of my life that need to taken care of also - not just my weight. I need to (1) eat the foods I know are healthy and that my body will handle the best (2) I need to be more physically active (3) I need to feed the spiritual side of me. In general I need to put to practice what I have learned. On saying that I also realize I haven't stopped learning - that every day I learn something new.
Sitting here I reflect on some of these things
(1) my spiritual life is the most important to me - I need to spend time daily with my Lord and Savior, praying asking for forgiveness of sins I have committed that day - though I am a born again Christian, I do sin - we all do on a daily basis - and though I know I am forgiven I need to turn over these done today to the Lord working and work on not stumbling over them tomorrow. I know I need to pray for the government - we just had our Canadian election and am disappointed in it - so I need to remember more then every to pray for the leaders of our country. I need to pray for family members, for those that I know are sick and for those that do not know Christ as their personal Savior, pray for my own health. I also need to continually remember to read His Word daily and for me I find it best first thing in the morning. I am blessed to have a husband that is born again and believes as I do so we take time together every morning to pray together and study the Word.
(2) I think about my mobility issues and how even in just 31 days how it is improving. I have completed Part 1 of a Virtual Walk Across Canada (Port Hardy to Port McNeil BC) which is a distance of 27 miles. I am working on Part 2 (Port McNeil to Campbell River BC) which is a distance of 17 miles and I have completed 2 miles so 15 more to go. I marvel that I have completed this as it is difficult for me to walk far or for any length of time - but daily I have persisted and have made some headway. Praise the Lord!
(3) I think of my eating - over the years I have learned a lot of food and how it affects my body - I believe all food is ok but not all is beneficial to my body. I know that what works for one person won't necessarily work for another. I am thankful for people here on Sparkpeople that have stepped out and have given me great suggestions with respect to vegetables which I have never liked to eat. But I am starting to like them and realizing more then ever that my Lord and Savior has put them there for me to enjoy. I am still learning which ones bring on an attack of IBS and which ones don't. I am still learning different ways to eat them - working at getting to like them. For instance yesterday I chopped up a bunch of fresh vegetables, then got out my trusty measuring cup that measures 4 cups - I put a combination of celery, snap peas, cauliflower and broccoli all chopped up and measured into a large glass jar which has a lid. Then I should this to my husband and said 'this is the amount of vegetables I should be eating if I ate raw vegetables' - his mouth dropped. I then mentioned, that if I was to cook all my vegetables for the day I would need to eat 1/2 of this jar (2 cups) or I could do a combination of both. I took this jar of vegetables to my TOPS meeting this morning as I was asked by the leader of the Chapter to bring this for a visual. I was somewhat surprised that not one of the 15 ladies said they eat either 2 or 4 cups of vegetables yet they all said that they realized they should be. They all said they were aware of how much they should be eating and thought they were but when they saw this visual they were surprised. So I have now got 2 glass jars - one with fresh vegetables all chopped up and ready to use tomorrow - I am going to make a large pot of homemade soup with 1/2 the jar and 1/2 the jar I will have for supper. And I have another jar of frozen vegetables all chopped and ready to use - it is in the freezer. My plan is now to have 1 full jar of fresh vegetables all prepped and ready and 1 jar prepped and ready in the freezer - so there will not by any excuse not to get in the vegetables.
(4) Movement / Exercise = I do realize I am not active enough - I would much rather sit and read than get up an move a lot - have always been this way though I have not always been obese. But I know that my mobility issues are due to a back condition and from falling and damaging the complete right side of my body but I also know that I still have the ability to walk and that I need to do it more each day. I am making progress and as tomorrow will be the start of Month 2 I will be making up a schedule for my walking. I am not going to push it so that I get discouraged due to more pain but I will push it to some extent in able to improve my health. More on what I will be doing with respect to walking in my next blog
As I have mentioned I have learned a lot of great information and will still continue to research to learn more. But starting with Day 32 (start of 2nd month) I am going to just do it - put the changes into practice - just small simple changes that on a daily basis I can build on. I have a good foundation - good info re what I should eat - and now I will build on that by taking it one day at a time making each day count and important with just small changes - getting in my water (70 - 90 oz daily), getting in at least 2 cups of vegetables a day (working staying away from the high starch ones but not eliminating them completely), getting in enough protein (remembering that I have Chronic Kidney Disease so have to be careful with the protein) and keeping all sugars except for fruit out of sight. I will be putting into practice no processed food but rather making everything from scratch - any sauces that we want will be using will be made from scratch (ketchup, soya sauce, teriyaki sauce and a few others) and I will enjoy each day to its fullest remembering that the day was given to my from my Lord - the air I breath, the food I eat, the clothes I wear, the house I live in - all come from my creator and I will never stop thanking Him for all that He has blessed me with.
3 things I am thankful for today are
(1) grateful that I have started over on this program 31 days ago and for all that I have learned in these 31 days
(2) grateful for all my Spark friends ( a big shout out to Renee who has helped me a lot in the last 30 days and many more also)
(3) grateful that I have the ability to ward off this cold I am suffering with - thankful that the Lord is taking care of me and the direction He has taken in sending me to a good doctor who is helping me with fighting many issues my body is dealing with.
My streaks to date are
3 days of not eating after 6:30 pm
29 days of blogging my journey here at Sparkpeople
31 days of logging on to Sparkpeople
31 days of tracking all my food and exercise
31 days of reading the Bible with my husband.
NOTE: Here is a copy of what I have eaten for the last week - I do track on Sparkpeople to get the calories and nutrition of all food but use this tracker for my TOPS meeting and I am finding it very helpful. I menu plan for my breakfast and lunch which is shown on the right hand side. Then the suppers that I plan to have for the week are posted on our fridge - and when we make one of them I record it on the left hand side of this paper journal. On the reverse side I make notes of (1) how do I feel now that the week is over (2) what could I have done better (3) all exercise / movement I did during the week and in general just how I feel. It also shows my weight at the start of the week and at the end of the week (weigh in days are Tuesdays)