10 Reasons I Want to Lose Weight
1. My husband's former doctor, practicing in his eighties, used the phrase "to prolong vitality, and shorten morbidity." I want to be walking and jogging the week I die.
2. My grandmothers, mother, and aunt all suffered from osteoporosis, and it was a contributing factor in all their deaths. I want to be standing tall and capable of avoiding those falls and injuries that stole their mobility and breath. Exercise and nutrition help maintain bone mass.
3. I want to avoid the terror of Alzheimer's disease and dementia. Exercise, good nutrition, rest, and social support are vital to staying mentally sharp.
4. I want to avoid heart disease, stroke, diabetes, and cancers that are related to a sedentary lifestyle and poor diet. I'm free of those chronic ailments currently and I want to keep it that way.
5. Exercise is critical to my mood and helps keep "the black dog" of depression and anxiety in control.
6. Because I have a mild form of hemiplegic cerebral palsy, I know that maintaining my skeleton, musculature, and nervous systems are essential for coping with the declines of aging.
7. I like the self esteem that comes with being fit, active, and lean. I like knowing I can do and achieve physical goals like jogging a 5K or walking miles unexpectedly.
8. A healthy body is more likely to survive those unexpected calamities like car crashes, and natural disasters, and life stressors.
9. I want to enjoy long relationships with my husband, friends, and family, and enjoy the good gifts of life: food, drink, social occasions, and nature.
10. I want to look good, wear fashionable clothes, and satisfy my vanity.
Why am I blogging? Quite simply, I have a sense of belonging, support, and accountability during these 8 week sessions. I've yet to reach my 5% goal, but my friends here don't consider that a failure, because we all know this is a process, more than a product.
So if you're looking for a quick fix, I wouldn't recommend this challenge, but if you want to work on better health for the long term, this is a great place to start.