1 year after my wedding date I gained all the fat I lost and plus some more... I used to weigh 70kg, then before the wedding I lost 10kg and became 60kg and now it is back to 74kg... With my tiny height, these amount are horrible. And this happened even if on 70% of days I eat healthy and exercise 3-4 times a week...
I understand that healthy eating and exercise won't solve the problem, and calorie deficiency is needed for me to lose... For me dieting is hard. I can't do what many people recommend "oh it is so easy, just stop yourself at 80% fullness"... Yeah sure!
When I eat I like to eat. And since I eat healthy nutritious stuff most of the time I don't feel guilty of overeating and can justify it to myself. But that does not help with losing or maintaining weight. I like my weekend alcohol, and some quality deserts... Eventually I know that it all adds up. My body is inclined to be fat however I may try to deny it.
So instead of going on another diet, I decided to fast. So much research on it already! Fasting has so much more benefits than just losing weight.
- It makes you lose fat from internal organs which other calorie restricted diets don't always achieve
- it regenerates new cells both on your muscles and on your brain. The mechanism is the same as exercise. You damage your muscles to regenerate the new ones when you rest. Here you eat into old cells by fasting, so that when starting to eat they regenerate into the new ones.
- for some people, like me, it is much easier to abstain from eating completely rather than restrain the portion sizes. So fasting maybe a solution for this.
- the results are so much faster with fasting than simply decreasing the calorie intake.
- and finally, somehow it changes your psychology. With the constant hunger (which you stop feeling after a while) you reach some kind of zen state of appreciation and gratitude.
One trick that I have read about a while ago that helped me a lot is to maintain healthy sodium and potassium intake. I achieve this by having a bit of cider vinegar in the morning and before bedtime (1-2 tablespoons). And also consuming a sachet of miso soup. The one I use (bought in the UK) is below. They help me a lot when I start feeling hungry and they have all the nutrients that I need. I also have black coffee - in moderate amounts it is zero calories and curbs the apetite. Just make sure not to overdo it. I don't drink too much water as it causes the loss of electrolytes. I drink water when I feel thirsty and stop when I feel I have had enough.
Overall I think fasting is awesome. It is not for everyone. But there is around 30% of people for whom fasting is more suitable than watching what they eat. I had done 5:2 fasts before and I loved it. I don't know why I stopped it and forgot about it. I am on my day 1 of may 5 day fast, and will let you know on day 5 how it has gone. But if it is all alright, then I will do another fast in two weeks time before my big holiday :)... I am going to a country which has amazing food, so I better get ready for it. I am not planning on restricting myself when I am there...We live only once! So I rather fast few times a month, rather than not be able to enjoy my holidays.
Wish me good luck! And if you want to know more about the fast I am doing, get in touch!