Should I stay or should I go
Friday, December 07, 2018
Today the district manager came into where I work (I work for a corporate chain) and asked if I'd like to go work in Fairbanks, Alaska for a week. This was quite unexpected as I've never been offered an opportunity to travel out of state for work. As I've never been to AK before and it's been on my list, AND it would be a free trip for me as travel expenses and lodging would be paid for, it got my attention. Of course, the first drawback I thought of was the freezing cold weather and the extremely dark conditions there this time of year. I do not like the cold and strongly dislike driving in snow or slick, icy conditions. When I mentioned this the DM was quick to point out that, "It's Alaska; they take care of their roads." Hm.
Still drawn by the carrot of a free trip to a place I've not yet been and may not ever get the opportunity to go to, I continued to mull it over for the day. I told the DM I'd let her know tomorrow if I could go. It would be a working trip but I'd still have evenings off, so I could perhaps still experience some of what Alaska has to offer.
I ran it past my family. DH was immediately opposed and seemingly very triggered about the idea without even thinking it over, so it's a definite nay from him. The kids pointed out the weather (12 degrees) with snow in the forecast. They pointed out that sunrise is at 10:30 am and sunset is at 2:30 pm there right now. (which is actually better than I thought it would be...I was picturing pitch black all day long) They made some humorous analogies about what an offer to be sent to Alaska to work for a week in the winter is like. Suffice it to say I don't think they see it as any sort of great opportunity.
I still don't know what I'll do. I would love an adventure, but with climate conditions such as they are in AK currently, who am I kidding? I probably wouldn't be much of an adventure. Just working in an unfamiliar, short staffed, high stress place during the day and trying to stay warm in my hotel in the cold, dark night is not really an adventure. Of course I'd love to see the state, and will probably never have another chance to see it for free, which is what really keeps me seriously considering taking the trip. So I don't know. I suppose I'll sleep on it and hopefully a clear answer will present itself in the morning.
So...should I stay or should I go?