This year has been difficult to say the least.
- I lost my job in a very unfair way & ended up paying lots of money on Immigration issues from my pocket which was unplanned
- My brother went missing - 2 months later his body was found
- My Dad passed 2 months after my brothers funeral
- Immigration changed rules and my permanent residence application is getting further and further delayed
- I have not had any income since May
- with all the stress related adrenaline in my body suddenly my blood pressure went high and my pulse rate went through the roof, my feet also started swelling without obvious reason.
In all this emotional upheaval it has been difficult to stay on track and to keep my life on track. Even eating is not as simple, since I am often invited at friends houses. Since many of them are Indians their meals usually contain at least 2 starches and you need to be diplomatic.... However I usually get away with taking a little of both and eating this very slowly. The trick is to always have a reasonable amount of starch on your plate, so that they don't feel like they need to add you....
They mean so well, and I love them to bits for their kindness.
At times I start feeling depressed and like a failure. That's when I give myself pep talks and look back at achievements. So I decided to share this years achievements.
- I managed to maintain my weight, even though I was put on drugs that make you gain
- I found out that my thyroid goes out of wack once in a while and that always coincides with my unexplained weight gains. Go figure! For now it is being monitored
- I managed to finish my leadership training and somehow finance my trip to LA - I even allowed myself some fun, like Whale watching.
I graduated from the Leadership Institute Master Class in LA in front of over 1000 Chapter Leaders from all over the world
- BF has been with me all through the struggles. He keeps my car fueled and my rent paid
- I registered my company - will be able to start operating it as soon as I have the immigration papers sorted out
- I set up a website by myself only with help from a friend (money saved!)
- I started mentoring more young people and they are working on improving themselves and their career
- I started publishing articles in www.projectmanagement.com the resource website of PMI
- My articles are being noted even by PMI - one made it on their Twitter
- I just discovered another Project Management Forum where I can post articles
- I made many new connections that will help me in future
- I have worked on a project that will start up as soon as the funding is sorted
- I spend lots of quality time catching up with friends & colleagues in the last few months
- I kept exercising as & when my body allows - the stress takes it toll, even as I am writing this I couldn't go for my planned long walk, since there is a flare up of the RA. But I will do some shorter walks.
Yes looking at it like this, the year was a success!