350,000-499,999 SparkPoints 450,670

Asbestos Abatement, part 2

Friday, July 13, 2007

It's been six days, and a lot has been accomplished! Good news overall!!!
First, I called my son (despite my hubby's insistance he could do all the work by himself), and Scott came with his truck and strong young muscles to help him move the packed boxes and small furniture to our storage room (Bob got over it!). That helped a lot by clearing out the spaces, so we could see what was left to do. Unfortunately, my daughter Aubrey had suffered a small relapse; no ER visit, but unable to work, physically spent, and throwing up constantly, she was staying on our couch.
I packed also, but mainly focused on completing tasks on the computer, cleaning up as much as possible (esp. laundry and kitchen), and packing for our stay at my mother-in-law's home. We got the call Wednesday at 3 pm to be out the next morning at 8 am. Even though our landlady came in the afternoon to get the curtains for cleaning and almost had a stroke (so sure she was we'd never be ready), Bob and I finished emptying the living and spare rooms (filling up every inch of remaining floor space in the kitchen, our bedroom and the laundry area!), and were out of there by 9 pm.
Most important of all, Bob and I had made an agreement to be kind to each other during this stressful time, and to let any snappiness "bounce off." Wednesday night, we were so wound up mentally, we couldn't sleep until midnight. We didn't really talk, just stayed close to each other and recouped emotionally. :)
{{{{BIG SIGH}}}}
Thursday, I got up at 4 am and drove Bob to work, and stayed out all day until he was ready to come home at 4 pm. I had packed up a ton of paperwork that needed to get organized and completed, bills and calendars and ads, and lots of stuff I hadn't gotten to in awhile. I worked in his SUV, at a park and at the library; met a friend for lunch and did errands; picked up the grandbaby at the sitter's and Bob at work, and went back to my mother-in-law's to play and for dinner. We fell asleep at 7 pm and I slept until 11:30 am this morning!
Good news - the asbestos (et al) is all removed, and the air filtration systems will run until Monday, when the state inspectors come to approve the work and clear the project. We've decided to stay out of the apartment until ALL the work is finished, unless it takes a really long time... however, a contractor is coming Monday to do an estimate for reinstalling the ceilings, painting, and laying new carpet. It shouldn't take them too long, right?!? We'll see on Monday how long they estimate it will take to finish all the work.
More good news, the landlady told us we could decide how much rent we wanted returned to us for June and July, because of all the inconvenience, and she'd agree to it. It would take a novel to tell you all the problems we have had with this landlady! We would have moved out a long time ago, but the apartment is so perfect for us. I mean "perfect" - rent is reasonable, extra large overall, our own laundry room/pantry area with hookups, lots of closet space and cabinets, and a handicapped bathroom for me in the master bedroom. Apparently through all this disruption, we've been VERY cooperative and understanding, unlike the other tenants. It's a relief to be on better footing with her - I hope it continues!
We had planned on living here at least until Bob retired, but it's been so tense with her this past year. She "evicted" Aubrey by refusing to renew her sublease; I called Fair Housing, but where we live, there are NO legal protections for tenants. Even though Aubrey is my kid, and we were totally honest about the situation, and we were paying extra rent for her being there, it made no difference.
A year ago, just days before Aubrey was to move to a rented room nearby, the landlady got very angry with me when I called her from the ER (Aubrey was being hospitalized again) and begged her to let Aubrey stay with us. She said she didn't want Aubrey in the apartment because she was so ill, and if she hadn't renewed our lease, she'd kick us out too... needless to say, the past year (landlady-wise) has not been pleasant!
Anyway - enough of this novella!!! I keep taking deep breaths and reminding myself I can breathe now! I'm at my daughter's work at the corporate office for the restaurants, using a computer station there. First, I transferred my paper records to the trackers, now the blog, and now on to my email!
P.S. The bakery is next door - the chef is bringing out new desserts for us to try to give our opinions! YUM!!!
Share This Post With Others
Member Comments About This Blog Post
    You are in my thoughts. Please know you will be missed the days you can not get on the computer. I am happy to hear the good news about your apartment and your landlady. Please keep us posted to how you are doing.
    4237 days ago
  • Add Your Comment to the Blog Post

    Log in to post a comment

    Disclaimer: Weight loss results will vary from person to person. No individual result should be seen as a typical result of following the SparkPeople program.