Saturday, March 03, 2018
This week has been tough. It's the second week of my healthy lifestyle re-dedication. In the years since I have last been active, I've had 2 heart attacks. One was small and due to my not taking my heart medication daily. The first one was more serious and caused by twitchy cardiac vessels that constrict under stress and cause non-ST elevation myocardial infarction (NSTEMI). I have arthritis in my knees, tight hamstrings, and plantar fasciitis. All of these conditions will be relieved by adopting a healthy lifestyle that produces weight loss. Although my A1C and fasting glucose tests are currently normal, I am at high risk of developing Type 2 diabetes.
I have watched the last two fitness journeys end due to injury. Without the positive exercise feedback, I start making poor dietary choices in order to feel good. I am prepared to make lasting changes.
My first week went very well. I tracked my food and saw that I could eat a very balanced diet with some treats while staying in my calorie range. I joined a gym and attended 3 group fitness classes, met with a trainer, and scoped out cardio machines that worked well with my physical limitations. My knees had some soreness but I generally felt amazing. I reactivated my SparkPeople profile and re-joined SparkCoach to get additional motivation.
My second week has been more challenging. Planned gym time had to yield to a variety of other commitments. Sunday was an art show with a friend. Monday was a volunteer board meeting so I went before work but only had time for a short workout. On Tuesday, I picked up my daughter from the airport late which meant I did not get to the gym early on Wednesday. I was meeting friends after work on Wednesday so I did take a brisk walk at lunch but it wasn't the workout I really wanted. Thursday brought icy weather so I worked out at home to a Spark Bootcamp routine with Coach Nicole. I was also eating pizza and beer and while I was keeping to my overall healthy eating plan, those are not healthy choices.
Yesterday I hit a low that in the past would have derailed all my healthy progress. I burned a large part of my dominant hand in a foolish cooking adventure. Doing anything but keeping my hand in cold water was out of the question. I did not make my step goal. I did not work out. I decided to eat a chocolate lava cake and feel sorry for myself. It wasn't even all that magical, if I am being honest.
Today, i missed my water aerobics class because I still cannot grip items well.
Rather than wallow, here is my action plan for today:
1) Complete my SparkCoach assignments
2) Head to the gym for 45 minutes of recumbent bike. Bring the kindle and blast the new Moody Blues playlist I made on Spotify. This will be a five minute increase from last week. A "personal best" is great motivation.
3) Pick up my new gym clothes from Lane Bryant. I ordered them last week and they have finally arrived. Everyone works out better in cute athletic gear.
4) Drink my water, log my food.
5) Go to bed at a reasonable hour
1) 8,000 steps every day.
2) Track food so I can show myself that I tend to stay in my calorie and macro nutrient range
3) Exercise 5 times at least 30 minutes per session
4) Sleep 7 hours a night
5) 72 oz of water per day
6) SparkCoach check in every day including a status update on this blog every day.
- Get eyebrows threaded for 4 goals this week
- Book massage for meeting all 6 at the massage therapist training school.
- New sports bra for 2 weeks of goal attainment
- New athletic shoes for 4 weeks of goal attainment
How do you get yourself back on track?