COUNTING MY BLESSINGS: NOV 09, 2017
Thursday, November 09, 2017
I happened to look back at one of the blogs I posted back in March or April when I was barely beginning my gratitude journey. I had set myself the goal of listing 10 different things each day. In the beginning the task seemed daunting; before long, I was off to the races. I kind of liked that format so I think I will borrow from those early days. Here goes.
(1) Today I am grateful I got to sleep in until almost 10:00. Originally I was startled awake by the sound of the ping of the iPad. It was barely 6 in the morning, still dark out. My fear was that I would not be able to fall back to sleep, making for a very looooong day. Well, I did it . . . an extra 4 hours of much needed rest.
(2) I am grateful that the sun is shining and the sky is blue today. We have had many days of grey dreary skies devoid of sunshine. Sunshine makes me happy even if I cannot be out in it.
(3) I am loving the fresh air that seeps in from the open screen in my back door. It's not every day I am fortunate enough to be able to open that door. It is often very very cold and windy. Today is a good day and I am focusing on the positives. I am by nature a lover of the outdoors.
If I have to be stuck inside for the next few months while I recover from this accident, then having an open door and fresh air is at least a step in the right direction.
(4) I appreciate the sound of the cars passing by on the street below my 4th floor apartment. It helps to remind me that I am alive and that life continues for all those people out there. I not sure I've ever noticed the sound of car tires moving the slush around as they pass by my place.
(5) I am grateful that I do not have nightmares of the SUV bashing into the side of me. I seemed to have blocked that image until a week and a half after the accident when it came flooding back. My mind has accepted what happened and relegated that unpleasant memory to the file entitled: Been there. Done that. Moved on. I think this is a blessing.
(6) I am grateful that I no longer have to deal with the discomfort of constipation as a result of all the scary pain meds I received after the accident and resultant surgery. Yesterday I saw a clip from the show The Doctors where a proctologist removed 30 pounds of poop from one man's bowel!!! To me this was astounding. I can't imagine being this impacted. Grateful that I am me and not that unfortunate individual. For those who are interested, they showed pictures.
(7) I am grateful that I managed to get out for a brief lunch yesterday. A change of scene and a re-introduction to the outside world was a much needed improvement over staring at the same white walls of my living room.
(8) Yes, the journey to the restaurant was challenging and ultimately exhausting but I did it. I am still strong and determined to beat this setback.
(9) I am grateful for the people who have brought me food because I am unable to prepare my own food. I really appreciate their kindness in helping out. It restores my faith in human nature.
(10) I am grateful that I have always loved to read and have many many books at my disposal. I even have a friend who has offered to pick up and return any items that I order from the public library.
So many wonderful things to be grateful for.
Thank you for reading.