Our blog assignment for the Aspire and Inspire sparkteam is to share some fall recipes. I decided to look for some new ones, so I haven't tried any of these yet. I associate apples with fall, so I looked on Pinterest for apple recipes, and these looked interesting.
Cinnamon Apple Chips
Prep Time - 15 mins
Cook Time - 2 hr 30 mins
Total Time - 2 hr 45 mins
Author: Carrie's Experimental Kitchen
• 4 Apples, cored and sliced 1/8” thick (I used McIntosh)
• 1-2 tsp . Ground Cinnamon
• 1-2 tsp . Granulated Sugar, if needed
• Cooking Spray
1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees fahrenheit.
2. Add the sliced apples to a large bowl; then coat the apples with the cinnamon and/or sugar.
3. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray and line the apples flat on the pan. You may need to use two pans so that they are not overlapping.
4. Bake 2-3 hours until the chips are dry yet still soft. Allow to cool completely before placing them in an air tight container for up to 4 days (if they last that long!).
APPLE CHEDDAR PINWHEELS
Source: Cooking With Carlee
• 2 T butter
• 2 apples, use ones that are good for baking
• 1/2 cup mild onion, diced
• 1 T fresh thyme (or about half that amount dried)
• 1 1/2 cup sharp cheddar, grated
• 1 container puff pastry
• salt and pepper
1. I have been liking using the puff pasty my grocery store carries in the refrigerator section (by the tubes of biscuits), but if you are using frozen puff pastry, be sure it is defrosted.
2. Dice the apple. You can peel it if you like, but I just diced mine fine and left the peel on. Do whatever you prefer.
3. In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium to medium-high heat. Saute the onion and apples until the onions are translucent. Remove from heat and stir in the thyme and season with salt and pepper.
4. Unroll the puff pastry. Spread with apple mixture and sprinkle with grated cheddar.
5. With a long side of the dough facing you, roll the dough around the apple mixture. (You want the roll to be long.) Wrap and place in the refrigerator for at least a half hour.
6. Preheat your oven to 450 F and line a baking sheet or two with parchment paper.
7. Cut the roll into 1/2 inch slices and arranged pieces on the lined baking sheets. Bake for 12-14 minutes or until golden.
SLOW COOKER HONEY PORK CHOPS AND APPLES
PREP TIME - 10 mins
COOK TIME - 8 hours
TOTAL TIME - 8 hours 10 mins
Source: Stephanie Ertel
• 3-4 lb of pork chops (boneless or bone in)
• 2 large granny smith apples. sliced
• ½ cup honey
• 2 tbsp cinnamon
1. Place ½ apple slices in bottom of the slow cooker.
2. Drizzle ½ of the honey over apple slices.
3. Place pork chops on top of apple slices.
4. Place remaining apple slices on top of pork.
5. Sprinkle cinnamon over everything.
6. Drizzle the remaining honey over everything.
7. Place lid on and cook on low for 6-8 hours, depending on how much pork is in it.
8. Remove from slow cooker and serve with apples on top.