Progress Update #19
Wednesday, July 05, 2017
It has not been a good week. Last Wednesday, I went to see my orthopedic surgeon after my leg turned red and hot after a fall the week before. The doctor wasn't sure if I had an infection or not but gave me an antibiotic just to be safe. He went out of town the next day.
Well, as luck (or lack thereof) would have it, my infection blossomed overnight. I felt hideous that night and worse the next day. I went to my primary since my orthopedist wasn't available. The antibiotic was changed - she brought out the big guns. I've been confined to bed with ice packs for five days.
This morning was a big day. It was Day 6 and I was supposedly going to get out of bed and be able to return to more normal activity. Wrong! My leg was still red and aching. Granted, it wasn't nearly as hot and swollen as it was last Thursday (meaning that the antibiotic is working) but it is still hot and red. I called my primary to see if that is okay or if I should be concerned. They called me back fairly quickly to say contact your orthopedist's office, someone is bound to be on call. (Since he is still on vacation.) They also told me a big resounding NO for having resin put on a broken tooth tomorrow.
First I called both numbers for my orthopedist's office and left messages for the doctor on call. Then I called and cancelled my dental appointment. Two people from the practice called me back and told me to go to their urgent care orthopedic center. They both called the urgent care to let them know I would be coming. Ugh!
Traffic, on the way to urgent care, was awful. It took me 90 minutes to get there. Once there, I had a three hour wait, due to people getting injured over the Fourth Of July. Just having my leg down during the drive and the wait made it throb and get a lovely shade of hot pink. The nurse practitioner went over what has happened since last Wednesday in detail. She took a picture of my knee, along with an email, and sent them to my doctor, even though he's on vacation.
If the doctor answers her email, she will call me with an updated plan of care. If my knee gets bad again, I have to go to the hospital ER and start IV antibiotics. This may require a hospital stay on my part. Hopefully, she will call me before my scheduled physical therapy on Friday. She didn't want me to cancel it yet. I'm to "sit tight" and see what the knee does and wait for her to call me. I'm not all that comfortable with waiting until the last minute to let my PT know if I'm keeping my appointment. I will wait a while and then I'm going to call and cancel it.
Praying that I will continue to improve is the only thing that has kept me from freaking out during the last few days. The nurse practitioner has already made an appointment for me for this coming Monday. (This is my orthopedist's first day back after his vacation.) If I continue to fight the infection and make adequate progress then I might avoid hospitalization and further surgical procedures. My fingers and toes are crossed.