Tomato Barley Soup, spicy and filling!
Sunday, June 18, 2017
I based this soup on a Tomato Bean Barley Soup recipe from Eat for Health Part 2, published in 2008 by Joel Fuhrman (updated versions are searchable under Fuhrman tomato barley bean). Although I used the recipe, I heavily adapted. It turned out spicy, chewy and filling! This is a one pot meal you could live on for a week without getting bored or hungry.
1. I made my own veggie broth from a Del Sroufe recipe in Better than Vegan.
2. I added 1/4 c. tomato paste.
3. I added 2 c. corn.
4. I added 2 TBSP of Spike and 1 TBSP of MatoZest (Fuhrman seasoning)
5. i increased the amount of kidney beans to 6 cups.
6. I added 1/4 cup chipotle chiles in adobo.
7. I added 1 tsp. salt.
8. I pressure cooked nearly 3/4 lb. of Southern Greens separately, then added to the soup.
This was one of those Day at Home soups, but it made a huge soup pot full (about 8 cups), so we'll be able to coast for the next 3-4 days. I love that it is colorful and contains legumes, veggies, and grain (barley), all in one flavorful pot of soup!