I'm building a new challenge called the Small Goals Commitment Challenge. Here is a quick overview of the elements of this challenge. Note that I now write regular blogs about this challenge -- if you have already seen the overview, you can go to my latest blogs if you'd like to follow along. You do not need to have read all of my prior blogs for this -- you can jump in at any point and the links below will show all of the "official" lessons and activities for the blog.
1) The Commitment Button -- by simply clicking a button, you will make a commitment to reach one small goal at a time. You can come back here every day to renew this commitment as a way to stay on track (or multiple times per day if you need to be re-motivated).
2) The Commitment Button counter -- each time you press the button, the number of total presses increases by one as a way to show that we're all part of something bigger -- a community of people reaching goals together!
3) I will update my free mini-book for this. If you haven't already read this, you can download this at sparkpeople.com/10
. This mini-book is only a 15-30 minute skim/read, so doesn't take much time and has many of the concepts included in my New York Times Bestselling book, The Spark. The Spark has a 4.6 out of 5 star rating on Amazon with many reviewers saying the book changed their life (which is now my goal with this challenge!).
4) I'm creating new content around the underlying SparkPeople program that helps people reach goals in all areas of life. This is now underway at this link with 9 published lessons/activities so far:
5) If you'd like, you can post your small goals either to my blogs, or to our community feed.
6) I post blog updates as regularly as I can.
7) The Small Goals Commitment Challenge SparkTeam -- this team shows a "program" for following this challenge by letting you track important areas of the SparkPeople Fuel for Improvement System. This will help you keep the big picture in mind and let you earn SparkPoints for taking actions to reach your goals. Here is the team:
My overall vision for this challenge is to have something incredibly simple as a baseline for participation -- literally a single click of a button.
But importantly I want to provide optional content in the mini-book, lessons, and activities that will make this challenge as MEANINGFUL as possible for each of you. I want you to truly believe and know that clicking this button and then taking action on your small goals could transform your life in ways you may have never imagined!
Some people might wonder if something as simple as clicking a button can work, so I'll give you an example from my experience. When I was originally developing the SP program to help me overcome anxiety, one project I did was building a vision collage that had pictures representing my goals. I hung that in my office at work. With a glance at that collage that took an instant, I could change my lunch food choice to a healthier option; I could be motivated to go for a walk to get sunshine; I could change my mood to a positive one and be more productive. The point is that simple visual motivators used the right way can be an enormous "coaching experience" to keep you on track to reach incredible goals. In this case, I LOVE the act of actually pressing the button because you're taking a step to indicate commitment. So even though this is simple, it really can work IF YOU WANT IT TO WORK :).
Your mind is very, very powerful, but sometimes it needs training and help to realize this power. I hope this challenge will be one coaching tool that helps many people realize their power. And that together we can become a Positive Force on many other people.
I have interacted with members every day in the Community Goals Feed. Seeing all the ways people need help and support has motivated me more than ever to figure out the best ways possible to help people reach their goals. That interaction is what sparked this simple challenge.
Let me know if you have any thoughts about this in the comments below! Are you committed?
I am adding this section to explain the process for at least this test period:
Here is an update on the starting process for this beta-test period:
1) I will write a blog most days that includes the commitment button. If you subscribe to my blog, you will receive an email alert right when I post a blog. I will try to do this early in the day. Eventually we might put the button in a more prominent location. If I don't do a blog on a certain day or you want to press before I send out a blog (I'm on Pacific time so many of you get up way earlier than me!), just go to the most recent blog and press that button again. I'll include the date in each blog's subject, so you can look at my list of blogs and select the most recent date.
2) In addition to pressing the button, if you like posting comments, feel free to make a comment in each blog. I love seeing all the comments on the first blog with people saying "I commit to.......". Also feel free to post/track any of those goals to the community goals feed if you'd like.
Come back and push the button as many times during the day as you'd like to re-affirm your commitment -- like if you are wavering on making a healthy vs. unhealthy choice or just need a little extra push. All you need to do is refresh the page and the button will also refresh.
Click the button below if you'd like to test this out :). Thanks for your support!
Here is a good motivational quote about the challenge. Simply committing to reach one small goal at a time can change your life: