LC Tip of the Day # 227: Raise RMR 11 ways Scientifically
Wednesday, April 05, 2017
Every time we eat or drink, we can thank our metabolism for converting all those calories into energy. Our size, gender, and age all factor into our metabolic rate, but there are also ways to independently adjust its speed. Here are ways to help with your RESTING Metabolic Rate!
1. Sleep! Researchers have found a link between metabolism and sleep, and not getting enough of it may seriously slow metabolism.
2. Drink green tea. Not only does it pack an antioxidant-punch, it speeds metabolism as well.
3. Amp up workout intensity. High-intensity interval training (HIIT), such as interval runs, are quick bouts of intense exercise that can jumpstart metabolism and keep us burning calories long after the workout is over.
4. Don’t skip breakfast. Studies show the importance of quick-starting metabolism with breakfast. No appetite? Snack on something small and bland, like yogurt.
5. Pump some iron. The weight room isn’t only to help bulk up or get lean. Lifting weights can also help speed resting metabolic rate, making those dumbbells our new best friends.
6. Gulp some H20. Drinking enough water (make it cold!) is a simple way to speed up digestion and burn calories. We may need more than those recommended eight glasses a day too.
7. Spice things up. The heat from chili peppers is thanks to capsaicin, which won’t only add a fiery kick — it could help boost metabolism, too.
8. Squeeze in cardio. In 1 study, 45 minutes on the bike sped up metabolic rate for MORE THAN 12 hours!
9. Eat wisely. Who knew eating could actually help speed calorie burn? Certain foods like tuna and grapefruit have been shown to speed up metabolic rate. Packing in PROTEIN has also shown to boost metabolism, so pick some eggs over pancakes at breakfast for a morning metabolism boost.
10. A cup of coffee (or the caffeine in it) is absorbed into the blood stream very quickly, speeding up heart rate and provide a metabolic boost that peaks at about three hours after drinking .
11. Laugh a lot! A little laughter may go a long way. Scientists have found that as little as 10 minutes of laughter per day burns energy .