Greater than 350,000 SparkPoints 472,564

Progress Update #2

Monday, February 27, 2017

Finally, I am starting to make some good progress. My wounds still have to be constantly checked by a nurse, cleaned and treated with medicine. They are slightly smaller but are still weeping and bleeding. Some of them really hurt and others are fast approaching that awful itching stage. I don't know which is worse. There are purple scars all over the place from the wounds that have healed. They look like purple bruises. Weird!

My big news is that, today, I was able to walk up two houses and back without stopping. The physical therapist noticed that I started to weave a little when we got back to the house and he grabbed the safety belt as I tried to climb into the bed. I asked if I was weaving and he laughed and said I had been since I got back to the house. I was just so determined to reach my goal that I really pushed hard. I did it! emoticon I never sat down in the wheel chair to rest once. Then the bad part.....I got an electric shock in the middle of my knee that brought me to tears. The shock lasted around 10-15 seconds. That doesn't sound like long but if you're on the receiving end, it is agonizing. After the shock, I had tingling in the whole area surrounding it for about a minute. The reason is.....when they make the incision, they have to cut lots of nerves and the surrounding nerves get very irritated and inflamed too. Some of the nerves are trying to heal. If you put it all together, you have a very sensitive electric feeling. I have had a lot of shocks as I increase in activity, but this was by far the worst.

My therapist moved on to stretching and bending the knee. It hurts at the beginning and then just feels uncomfortable afterward. As he was measuring my bend, he noticed that I had something sticking up from my knee. Apparently, the person who removed my stitches, missed one. That would explain the feeling that something was catching on things and pulling. I called my doctor's office while the therapist was here and explained about the missed stitch. My skin has grown up and around it so it may be difficult to remove. (It has been 5 weeks since surgery.) The doctor's office said they would send orders for remaining stitch removal to home health care. Never a dull moment! I hope the nurse can get that stitch out of there!

Once all of the activity died down, I ate lunch and took a nice nap. I feel refreshed and rested. No more drama and excitement today. I've reached my quota. emoticon
Share This Post With Others
Member Comments About This Blog Post
  • SHARON10002
    Hope all went well removing that extra staple. Great job on the walking!
    522 days ago
  • L*I*T*A*
    emoticon emoticon emoticon
    621 days ago
  • GABY1948
    I have been in a different world for a time....but I kept asking about you! John and I both pray daily for you too! I know you can do this and get back to the OLD CYNDI!

    I WILL be in contact!

    emoticon emoticon emoticon emoticon emoticon emoticon
    621 days ago
    Jeanknee said it well, "Recovery can be really tough work." She knows. Best wishes for continued progress. I know you have the determination, wisdom, and will to make it happen! Hang in there, Cyndi.
    622 days ago
    Good for you for being determined to make it two houses up!! You are progressing!!
    622 days ago
    Happy to hear that your recovery is progressing. Sorry about the pain and discomfort. Recovery can be really tough work. Hang in there! Sounds like you did great today!!!

    emoticon emoticon
    622 days ago
  • Add Your Comment to the Blog Post

    Log in to post a comment

    Disclaimer: Weight loss results will vary from person to person. No individual result should be seen as a typical result of following the SparkPeople program.