Recipe Review: Rachel Ray Chicken Teriyaki - slightly modified
Wednesday, January 11, 2017
I made this recipe yesterday: recipes.sparkpeo
. My Spark version includes a half cup of cooked brown rice in the nutritional calculation, and leaves out the chili pepper. It also includes a link to Rachel Ray's original recipe.
This was delicious, and very easy to make - I actually cooked it while chatting on the phone with a girlfriend.I used Soy Vey low sodium teriyaki sauce (love that brand), and the recipe came out great! A few observations:
1. I used defrosted frozen green beans, skipped the blanching step, and the resulting beans came out too limp; so, use fresh beans for this recipe. The 12 ounces of frozen beans was too much, proportionally for the dish, but they were the thin French beans. 12 ounces of thicker fresh beans may not have seemed like too much.
2. I used a 5-ounce package of Shiitake mushrooms because the store didn't have an 8 oz. package - do use a full 8 ounces, because they really cook down.
3. The freshly grated ginger really makes the dish - don't leave it out!
4. I forgot to put in the garlic, and it was still delicious - it would have been even better with the garlic, though.
5. When I make this again (definitely a WHEN, not IF), I might use a full pound of meat so each serving contains 4 ounces instead of 3. The amount of oil and sauce in the recipe will be enough to handle the extra meat.