I have a very full plate.
My DH has Alzheimer's and lives here at home. There are only the two of us, so all work and decisions must be made by me.
DH has always been a hoarder, and that hasn't changed with his Alzheimer's. Example, he thinks he should save the empty roll of toilet tissue. I can go on from there, but I think you get the point.
I used to love doing a 120 minute workout every morning. Can't do that any more.
At the beginning of this Alzheimer's journey I was filled with the "I can't". I can't do this, I can't do that............can't can't can't.
Then I stopped the help pity and decided to this of the "I CANs".
Sure, I can't find 120 minutes for fitness, but I CAN find ten minutes at a time.
Here are a few examples I use toward staying fit:
1. When doing dishes, I CAN do the calf raises.
2. When preparing food that requires me to pretty much stand in place while working, I Can march in place.
3. When setting the table, I CAN stand in one place and stretch across the table rather than walk around it. I CAN hold the stretches for one minute at a time. Then, when cleaning off the table, I CAN stretch the other side of my body for one minute at a time.
4. When doing laundry, I CAN do wall pushups using the washer as my wall. When putting the clothes in the dryer, I CAN stand in one place and do side bends. After getting the clothes in the dryer, I CAN do toe touchings before I stand upright.
5. When doing grocery shopping, I CAN reach for the highest shelves. I CAN leave my cart at the end of the isles where they won't be in anyone's way, and I CAN hand carry products from each isle to the cart by hand. I CAN put the shopping cart in where the used carts go in the parking lot, and I CAN carry all of the groceries to the car myself, making as many trips as necessary.
I CAN make a list, and time myself through the store.
6. I CAN bring all the groceries in the house and I CAN put them all away, timing myself while I do it. My goal is to get to putting all groceries properly put away in 10 minutes.
7. I CAN do shadow boxing while approaching the fridge for some grapes, doing one minute at a time.
8. I CAN take everything that has to go upstairs ONE trip One item at a time. I have 17 steps on the stair way, so it is a good workout while accomplishing other things.
9. I CAN take Benny out for his walks, going the route where we have to go up and down hills. This usually takes a minimum of 20 minutes, so I have to be sure DH is all taken care of before we leave the house.
10. I CAN sweep (or shovel snow if necessary) my front steps every day. That is a 5 minute process.
11. I CAN sweep off the deck every day. That is a 15 minute process.
12. I CAN pay my cleaning helper who does vacuuming and bathrooms every other week as a personal reward and goodie.
13. Add these all up, and there are other things to add, to be sure, and you will find that I get a whole lot more than ten minutes a day.
It's not so difficult if I give myself lee way.