We got three free Blue Apron meals via a current subscriber's referral. On Tuesday we made this recipe: www.blueapron.co
. It was very tasty, but we made some modifications to the original recipe. Here are our impressions:
1. As specified, this recipe is almost 800 calories. Way too much for my own dinner, and even too caloric for hubby. The main culprit is the quarter pound of (white) pasta per person - that's 2 servings! We only used half the pasta for the recipe.
2. The bucatini is a nice chunky pasta - sort of like an extra-thick spaghetti.
3. The recipe says to add salt and pepper in almost every step. I added a sprinkle of both, but not nearly as much as indicated.
4. While heavy on the pasta, only 5 ounces of shrimp per person was provided. I would have used 8 ounces of shrimp per person.
5. Because we halved the pasta, there was too much kale - we should have halved the amount of kale as well.
6. We used the specified amount of olive oil, but only half of the provided butter (again, because we used less pasta)
5. All in all, this was a very tasty recipe, and the step-by-step instructions were very good. Our plates looked just like the picture, too! We'll definitely make it again (buying our own ingredients) with the following changes:
a. Use 2 ounces of whole wheat pasta (or at least Barilla Plus) per person
b. Use 8 ounces of shrimp per person
c. Use half a bunch of kale or other greens to keep the proportions - I'd use the Earthbound Power Greens (baby spinach/chard/kale blend) that I usually have on hand.
d. Use only 1 tablespoon of butter
e. No need to drizzle any extra olive oil on top of the plated dinner.