Recipe Review: BHG Quick Sausage MInestrone
Thursday, December 01, 2016
I made this yesterday - it was delicious! www.bhg.com/recipe/quick
. Here are our observations:
1. The recipe calls for a 19 oz. can of cannellini beans, but I've never seen that size. The 14.5 oz. can we used was plenty.
2. I should have cut the sausage and potatoes smaller than I did - I recommend about a quarter inch dice.
3. The recipe calls for Italian style stewed tomatoes, but I accidentally bought the plain ones. The soup was delicious, but would have been even tastier with the Italian herb flavor.
4. The 1/4 teaspoon of red pepper flakes left a nice gentle heat bloom in my mouth. If you can't handle any heat, reduce or eliminate the pepper. Hubby, who has more of a heat tolerance than I do, could barely taste it.
5. I did make a couple of modifications which reduced the calories and fat a bit: We used Premio Chicken Kale sausage and chicken broth, instead of the specified regular sausage and beef broth. Here's my Spark recipe with the modifications: recipes.sparkpeo
6. We'll definitely make this again when the current batch is finished, with smaller pieces and the right tomatoes!