A Very Hard Painful Decision
Thursday, December 01, 2016
Max has been sick since September. He was diagnosed with a kidney infection then, along with weight loss (lost 2 pounds). Max has been on antibiotics three times now. Since the Saturday before Thanksgiving he has been eating less and less. He is now eating almost nothing. He is 14 years old and is down to 9.5 pounds. Our vet says there is nothing that she can do. We could spend over $600 for an ultrasound that may or may not show anything. I am afraid that he is so weak that even if they found something, he wouldn't survive any surgery. He doesn't want me to hold or cuddle him. He spends all day in his window. My husband took him to the vet today and then I talked to the vet on the phone while he was there. We are making the very hard decision to end his suffering. We are going to call a place that will do the procedure here in our house with us and Ananya (his sister cat) around him. I am hurting so much but I don't want him to suffer. Since we are doing this at home, we will do it on Sunday (hopefully). Both my husband and I will need time to process this and we are keeping our grandchildren on Saturday night. It will be hard to explain to them where Max is, but they will be told the truth that he died. I may not be on much over the next few days. I am hurting.
update: appointment is made for Sunday at 4:30.