Recipe Review: Slow Cooker Marinara Chicken and Vegetables
Tuesday, November 08, 2016
Today I made this recipe from the SparkPeople Cookbook. recipes.sparkpeo
It was tasty, but not spectacular. I give it a solid 3 stars. I ate mine over a little whole wheat pasta, and hubby had his with some pita bread triangles. We also had a romaine lettuce salad on the side. Here are our observations:
0. Once again, the nutrition info for the recipe on-line is slightly different than in the cookbook.
1. The portion size is accurate. This did indeed make 8 generous cups of shredded chicken in veggie-laden sauce.
2. The recipe calls for low-sodium tomatoes and marinara sauce, but I could only find full-salt versions. Still, it needed a little salt to bring out the flavors; we each added some pepper and a sprinkle of parmesan cheese to our bowls as well. Hubby asked if I was using a low-salt cookbook, since several of the Sparky recipes have needed a little salt added at the table (and we don't like very salty food at all).
3. Like other shredded-chicken crockpot recipes we've tried, there's always a little liquid left in the bottom of the bowl after eating the meal. This recipe didn't include any additional water, so I can't think of a way to make the sauce thicker.
4. With less chicken, more celery, and some onions, this could be a good soup recipe. Curiously, the original recipe doesn't include onions. Adding them could be tasty.
5. I was concerned that the full teaspoon each of dried thyme and dried basil would be too strong, but the amount was just right when mixed in.