Recipe Review: Braised Mexican Beef with Crispy Corn Tortillas
Tuesday, November 01, 2016
I made this for dinner tonight. I found the recipe in the SparkPeople Cookbook, and here's the on-line link: recipes.sparkpeo
. I give it 4 stars, but hubby only gave it 2.5. Here are my thoughts:
0. The cookbook advertises this as 338.4 calories/serving, but the on-line recipe is about 400 calories. I entered the ingredients myself into the calculator, and it came out at 400.
1. Where do they get 10 minutes prep time from? It took me at least that long just to chop the veggies, and more to to the cooking before the pot goes into the oven. That said, it was easy to prepare, and I had time to relax or do other things while the stew cooked in the oven.
2. I thought it was delicious, but hubby felt it didn't taste Mexican enough. He would have used pinto beans instead of chickpeas, and added cumin; I can see his point That would basically make it a chili, but there's nothing wrong with that. He thought the chickpeas would work better with Morrocan spices
3. The baked/crushed corn tortillas thickened the stew exactly as advertised. I'll have to remember that trick for future reference.
4. The red wine vinegar lent a really nice flavor to the meat.
5. I forgot to garnish with the banana peppers and yogurt. That would have added a nice zip.
Tomorrow I'm going to try the Orange Chicken recipe from the same cookbook - it will be interesting to see how that comes out.