30,000-39,999 SparkPoints 36,451

I was humiliated; my child was made to suffer. Nothing uplifting here, just a rant at Kaiser.

Wednesday, October 05, 2016

Let me first say that there is no way that what happened to my daughter and I can be resolved. But, I wanted to at least let Kaiser know about my experience. However, their online grievance form would not work. Their technical support was unhelpful. And when I called member services they were not interested at all in taking my statement. I mean, the operator I got kept telling me I should do the online form. When I told her that I couldn't, she suggested in not so many words that she did not care. Before transferring me to a representative in Washington, who could not take my statement as I am in California.I had been on hold for 54 minutes and 42 seconds. So, I told her that I did not wish to hold again; I would instead file a grievance with Facebook, and Yelp. And I did..I decided to sharing my story and frustration with my SP as well.
Shortly after 4:00pm on Sept. 30th, I took my daughter Jalisse Polanco to the urgent care located in the Wildomar office. After quite a long wait, she was seen by a doctor. Her medical record states it was ROSHUNDA MICHELLE COLEMAN MD, M.D. At that time my daughter was showing no signs of fever, vomiting, or diarrhea. However, judging from the exam the Dr. COLEMAN asked that I take my child to have an ultrasound, as they are unavailable at the Wildomar office. I opted to stay within my provider network, and not go to the nearest emergency. I was advised by Dr. COLEMAN that she would put in an order for an ultrasound, but I must go to the Riverside facility by 8:00pm. As I was leaving the office the nurse advised that I call and make an appointment. When I called, I was informed that I could not make an appointment, but that I should go directly to the Urgent care and explain, they would be able to pull the order for the ultrasound up and direct me. I arrived at the Riverside Urgent care at 7:04pm; I waited in line until 7:15pm. When I approached the window I advised that attendant of my situation, by then my child was in enough pain to require a wheelchair as she could not walk. The attendant was clueless, she defer to a on-call nurse (?), I later found out was Sindy Phavong. I was told that I needed to go to peds, I explained AGAIN, that my daughter had already been seen by a physician, and that I was told the ultrasound needed to be done before 8:00pm. We were dismissed, and my child was forced to wait to be seen. Per the medical record she was then seen by POOJA SETHI MD, M.D. Jalisse was in tremendous pain. But, because she had no fever, vomiting, or diarrhea, was forced to eat a pedialyte popsicle and pee in a cup. There was a trace amount of bacteria in her urine. Therefore Dr SETHI advised that she wanted to start Jalisse on urinary tact meds, and after the culture was tested…“we would have her stop taking them if it wasn’t really a urinary infection”. I explained that I was VERY familiar with urinary infection, and this was not one. That I did not want to give my child unnecessary meds, and that I lived in Menifee, and we had driven to Riverside to have an ultrasound done. Dr SETHI, kept saying that she advised against it. I was forceful that as Dr COLEMAN had ordered an ultrasound, and that it was a great distance to care if this was indeed an appendicitis. Therefore, I wanted an ultrasound done. By this time it was after 8:00pm, Dr SETHI left the room and returned only to blame Urgent Care for not sending me directly to have the ultrasound. Dr SETHI nurse walked me to Ultrasound, but as it was now after hours I had to go back to Urgent Care to check in, and be sent back. When I arrived back at Urgent Care I was frustrated, and made all the more so by the complete lack of courtesy, professionalism, or empathy from the front desk staff, especially Sindy Phavong. My child sat in pain while they called security to walk me back over to ultrasound. The security guard was professional, and we had a nice chat on the way to ultrasound. He walked me to the door of the building and told me that as I was no threat, I could walk myself down to Ultrasound. I need to add that the attendant at the desk of Ultrasound was awesome both times I was there. The ultrasound tech was also great. When I returned to Urgent Care I was again dismissed and told it would be at least a three to four hours to wait to read the ultrasound. I walked my daughter around the lobby to distract her from the pain. I met with two other nurse who ask me if, "I was the mom". This means that my child and I were being discussed around the facility. It was less than an hour before Sindy Phavong, came to find us in the lobby. She advised they had been calling us. Long story short, it was discovered that my child indeed had an appendicitis!
After the results were read, Urgent Care changed their tune and apologized. However, my child had been forced to suffer for four unnecessary hours due to their incompetence. There is no way that what happened to my daughter and I can be resolved. I was humiliated; my child was made to suffer. And if I had not been advocated for my child POOJA SETHI MD, would have sent her home with unneeded medication for a urinary infection, only to have her appendix explode.

I was humiliated; my child was made to suffer.

Kaiser needs better medical facilities in the Temecula, Wildomar, Menifee area. A hospital with proper equipment for patient care would be preferable.

Staff working after 5:00pm should be properly trained. This includes office staff and medical staff.

Staff should also have some HIPPA training as well.
Share This Post With Others
Member Comments About This Blog Post
    My friend right now is going through unnecessary tests after tests through KAISER! I have nothing good about them, never have and absolutely never will. I am glad I don't use Kaiser....
    1158 days ago
    Hope your daughter is feeling better!
    1158 days ago
    You can report this to HIPAA (you fill out a form online—did you get the names of the staff who asked if you were the mom in question?). I had two good doctors when I had Kaiser, both specialists, but I was not happy with any of my internists.
    1158 days ago
  • no profile photo L_DROUIN
    I'm glad that you stuck with it and that they finally found out what was happening to your daughter. Hope she is is feeling better now.
    1158 days ago
    I can see why you are upset. I hope your daughter is recovering well.
    1158 days ago
  • Add Your Comment to the Blog Post

    Log in to post a comment

    Disclaimer: Weight loss results will vary from person to person. No individual result should be seen as a typical result of following the SparkPeople program.