2016 Fall 5% Exercise Commitment
Monday, September 12, 2016
I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas morning. The 2016 Fall 5% Challenge is going to start on Saturday, September 24 and I can hardly wait. After struggling for a year on Sparkpeople trying to lose weight, I got an invitation at the end of last year to join in the 2016 5% Winter Challenge. It was the best thing to happen to me as I have found what I need to motivate me to lose weight.
I love the Living The Good Life (LTGL) challenges as they help me work on my healthy habits. Each week, we are presented with a challenge to work on that week. These are the ones that have helped me the most.
1. I am getting the sleep I need. I have discovered I need to work on a bed time ritual that helps me to settle down and fall asleep at a reasonable time each night.
2. I am drinking the water I need each day. I am a gamer at heart and I now play Plant Nanny on my phone that allows me to track my water as I water a plant to keep it happy and growing.
3. I am still struggling on watching my sodium intake. There are days when I have gone way over. I have to watch what prepared foods I eat. I do better when I eat what I have cooked myself. I need to make the time to cook my lunches for the week. Sometimes I struggle with time and energy, but it is something I will have to do in order to do what is healthiest for me.
4. Plan your meals the day before and stick to the plan. I have to admit this was a real struggle for me. I want to be able to change my mind and eat what I want, but I found that having a plan and then sticking to it, helped me to meet my nutritional needs. If I eat whatever strikes me at the time, I usually go over on calories or sodium. I need to plan my meals, so I can meet my nutritional goals.
5. Make your bed and declutter for 10 minutes. It's amazing how good it makes you feel to come home to a bed that's been made and to have some of the clutter in your home cleared out.
But the one thing that has helped me the most has been the exercise. For every fitness minute (minimum of 10 minutes) you move your team one virtual air mile towards a destination. I had started out in January barely able to stand much less walk for 10 minutes. I had torn a meniscus in my knee. My doctor wanted me to have surgery, but I don't like the idea of someone cutting into me. I decided to just let it heal on its own. I started off walking for 2 minutes and then sat down and chair walked until I got my 10 minutes done. I used some of the seated chair videos starting out on Spark People TV. I worked up to being able to walk for 10 minutes. And now that my knee has healed, I am able to walk up to 40 minutes.
So, looking ahead to the next challenge, it is time to start planning for success.
What type of exercise will I do? I am going to walk my way to health. I will also do some strength training to rebuild lost muscles.
How many minutes and how often will I exercise?
1. My goal is to walk 30 minutes first thing in the morning, 20 minutes after I get to work before I start working, a 15 minute walk mid-morning and one mid-afternoon. and a 20 minute walk at lunchtime. I will take another 20 minute walk in the evening after dinner. That will give me 120 fitness minutes.
2. I will spend 15 minutes Monday, Wednesday, and Friday evening working on strength training. I have found some videos on Spark People TV that are easy enough for me to do. As I build strength, I will find videos that are more challenging as I am able to do them.
If you think you can benefit, as I have, then click on the link below and follow the instructions to joining the team. From there, you will pick a team to travel with. I believe there is a team called "Rookies" that could use you on their plane. Most of the teams are full or close to it and are now closed. The challenge starts soon and you don't want to miss your "flight". Looking forward to seeing everyone in the air.