Summer is looming
Tuesday, June 07, 2016
Every summer I pack up my kids and my work computer and fly 3000 miles to spend the summer near my parents.
The pros (or helpful strategies):
* I am renting an apt with a full kitchen so I will have my own food.
* My kids are signed up with a consistent schedule so I can ballance work and me time.
* I bought a treadmill walking desk last Black Friday so this summer I won't spend it sitting as I have in the past.
* My kids are getting older and more independent.
* Air conditioning (we don't have it at home.)
* Parents who spend lots of time with the kids.
Cons (or weaknesses):
* Away from my own routine.
* Eating dinner with a different family member 6 out of 7 days a week. At their house.
* Not having my own kitchen makes cooking less enjoyable.
* mosquitoes! Ticks / Lyme disease!
* No co-parent.
Every year it is really hard. But it keeps getting easier. However, the harder it gets, the more I want to reward myself with food and vegging on the couch. 2 out of the three years Inhave gone I had momentum with food and exercise before I left, and by the time I got back it was not only gone, but I came back in a motivation black hole.
I am going to focus in 3 main things to keep me going. 1. To keep up here logging and posting. 2. Stick with my low carb eating. This is really not an option if I want to avoid becoming pre-diabetic. 3. Walk at work so that I don't lose my daily movement.
I am mostly writing this for me to read again in a month when I am already teetering on the "f**k it" stage.