I recently read an article that someone wrote about 15 reasons she was able to lose 40 lbs. It made me think. A few years ago, I could have written an inspiring article on how I was able to lose over 70 lbs and keep it off for 8 years. But not now. Right now, I'm struggling with something I never thought I'd deal with - regain. It went from 5 lbs, to 10, to 15 and now 20 lbs over my highest weight limit.
So it made me think. What am I doing differently? What are the reasons for my regain? Here's my list so far. I'm sure I'll add more to it later.
1. Meal planning. I used to be really good about this. Every Sunday, I'd plan my meals and exercise for the entire week. And I'd follow it. I've gotten out of this habit and it shows. I sometimes wake up and have no plans at all. Not good.
2. Movement. I'm not moving like I used to. I'm feeling a bit burned out on exercise. I keep up a regular six day exercise routine, but that's about it. The rest of the day, I'm pretty much sitting around. Let's face it - playing Candy Crush and checking Facebook aren't helping me reach my goals. I need to move more throughout the day including my exercise. Gardening and yard work should get me out of that slump!
3. Night eating syndrome. I'm doing better on this, but I think I need to just plan my "eating moments" better. I need a cutoff time at night and I need to eat smaller amounts. I eat too much of a snack and too late of one. It's affecting my sleep and my weight.
4. I need to realize and accept where I am right now and stop looking back at where I was 2 years ago. It's discouraging me.
5. I need to stop weighing so frequently. One time a week is enough. I have 2 sets of scales and weigh almost daily on each of them. It's crazy. And again, it's discouraging me.
6. I need to track on paper. This has always worked in the past and it will work again. I like being able to make notes on how my day went and go back to my paper tracker to see what worked and what didn't. I have been working on this, but I'm a little lazy about it.
7. I need to practice portion control. Even healthy foods can cause regain. I eat too many times when I'm not hungry. So planning ahead and stopping when I've eaten my portion.
So here's where I'm at now. I have to stop the excuses. I have to change the habits. I'm working first on the night eating. I've printed out a 21 day chart to hang on my fridge. No eating after I go to bed and I get a sticker every time. Just 21 days. For every 7 days, a little "something" for my fairy garden to motivate me.
Off to meal and exercise plan for the week!