Turkey & Sweet Potato Chili Recipe
Wednesday, January 20, 2016
I am posting this at the request of Alicia363, after I mentioned it in a comment on one of her blogs.
This was given to me by my doctor at a medical weight loss center, and it is attributed to skinnytaste.com.
I made it and my DH and son and I all liked it.
No BeanTurkey & Sweet Potato Chili
I served this with some sweet potato chips which I found in the grocery store and set out some chopped cilantro, scallions, sour cream and cheddar on the side as optional toppings. Because this has no beans, it's perfect for picky eaters and it's gluten-free and Paleo-friendly.
Servings: 5, Serving size: 1 cup, calories: 235, fat: 8g, cholesterol: 81mg, carbs:14g, fiber: 2g, sugar: 4g, protein: 23g, sodium: 578mg (without salt)
• 20 oz. 93% lean ground turkey
• kosher salt, to taste
• 1/2 cup onion, chopped
• 3 cloves garlic, crushed
• 10 oz can Rotel mild tomatoes with green chilies
• 8 oz. can tomato sauce
• 3/4 cup water
• 1/2 tsp. cumin, or to taste
• 1/4 tsp. chili powder
• 1/4 tsp. paprika
• 1 bay leaf
• 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and diced into 1/2" cubes
• fresh cilantro for garnish
In a large skillet, brown turkey over medium-high heat, breaking it up into small pieces as it cooks and season with salt and cumin.
• When meat is cooked through, add onion and garlic, cook 3 min. over medium heat.
• Add Rotel tomatoes, tomato sauce, sweet potato, water, chili powder, paprika and bay leaf.
• Cover and simmer over medium-low heat until potatoes are soft and cooked through, about 25 min., stirring occasionally. Add 1/4 cup more water if needed.
• Remove bay leaf and serve.