Wineglass Half Marathon

Thursday, October 08, 2015

What can I say? It all went as planned!

I try to plan my distance events so that my husband will not be annoyed when I expect him to show up for them... I don't expect him to come cheer at local 5K's, but when I've put in the effort for a half marathon (or longer) I want my support system to be there at the finish and not be grumpy.

So the Wineglass... the start line is 4 miles from a friend's house, and he gallantly agreed to host us and to drive me as close to the start as possible at 6:30 AM (to be honest, he was up at 5:00 making me coffee!)

So on Saturday we drove down, picked up the race packets (husband sat and read a book while I poked through the expo and spent money...) then toured the Corning Museum of Glass. It was interesting to watch the demonstrations of glass-blowing, glass-pressing and glass-breaking.

Out for a nice dinner with our friends, then an early bed-time. I'd packed my breakfast so I could control my foods (I have GI issues) and everything went smoothly. It was only 45 when I started out - I'd thrown in a wind-vest and gloves at the last minute, but not ear-warmers! So I'd bought a hat at the expo, and wore that. It wouldn't work with my visor but I was expecting it to be cloudy so I left the visor behind. Even with minor clothing snafu's, I'd have to say this was the least anxious/excited I've ever been pre-race - not even any race-anxiety dreams!

The drop-off went smoothly - we got within a 1/2 mile of the start (they were shuttling people in on busses and didn't actually allow drop-offs at the start-line.) So I walked in, dressed in my plastic garbage bag for warmth (and it was misting). Lined up for the porta-potties - and got back in line and did it again - and again... what can I say? It was cold and I was nervous. Popped my 1/2 immodium and walked to the starting line.

Chatted up a group of people as we lined up between the 2:20 and 2:30 pace groups. Everyone was cheerful - and the sun came out! No visor was probably my only bad decision.

My only goal for this race was to be under 2:30. This was my 8th or 9th half, and while my PR is under 2:15, I've been on the comeback trail from plantar fasciitis, and just wanted to finish strong and hit a reasonable pace. Of course, fantasies of running a PR were in my head, but I was also trying to focus on NOT GOING OUT TOO FAST!

So I checked the volumne on Map My Run so I could hear my splits, and off we went. Of course, with the crowd, it took a few minutes to get to the start, and for the first 2-3 miles I still couldn't hear my splits. But I knew we were clicking along. When I finally got to where I could hear, my overall pace was 11:15, so I just tried to stay steady. I needed 11:27's to hit the 2:30 cut-off.

The course ran alongside a river for a long ways, then cut through a park. Things just kept clicking along. At about mile 5 the 2:30 pace group caught up with me, and I ran a faster mile (about 10:40) to get ahead of them. I thought back to my last long run, where I'd done 8 miles then run a 5K race, and I knew I was safe in pushing a little.

As usual in the last 2-3 miles I was passing a lot of people. I was running from water stop to water stop, walking at the mile markers to drink my gatorade. I wasn't going much faster, but holding a nice even pace. One woman tried to chat me up as I was walking - you know, the 'come on, you can do it - we can finish together' chatter. I'd chatted with her earlier about pace, and knew I was running stronger than she was, so her chatter annoyed me. I'm usually really nice/happy about chatter, but for some reason this set me off. So I answered 'you go on ahead - I'll catch up!'. I finished my planned break, then pushed the pace and blew past her. Not particularly nice of me, but I have to admit it was satisfying!

The course wound around through Corning, finishing on Market Street. I was in the clear when we passed the photographers as we came over a bridge so I gave a big thumbs-up. And I was in the clear and running strong as I came over the finish line, so I smiled big. Looked around for my supporters and didn't see them, so after I got my medal and was in line for food I called them. Turned out they'd been right at the finish line, but had spotted the 2:30 pacer down the road and thought I'd be with her, so they missed seeing me entirely! Oh well, they tried - and I did appreciate them being there.

Finally we connect and went back so I could clean up before we devoured a pizza. It was a good day, and the pressed-glass medal is beautiful.

And - all my race pictures came out really well! Now I just have to bite the bullet and pay to get them... sigh...

This was one of the good ones.
Share This Post With Others
Member Comments About This Blog Post

More Blogs by CAROLCRC