Beginning a New Challenge.
Tuesday, September 15, 2015
Today's assignment is to list 10 reasons you want to lose weight. What do you want to change? How do you want to look? How do you want to feel? What things will you be able to do in the future with a slimmer healthier body? And list all the OTHER things that you want to change!
Funny how life simply - happens. One day you are young and it seems like just the next day you are the oldest person in the room. One day you are a little overweight and the next you are huge! Days simply pass and life happens and you turn around to look in the mirror wondering who that person might be. A pound here and one there, a year goes by and then another and you learn to live with the changes without realizing how they are truly affecting you and you family.
I know that I have always been a bit fat but now I have this huge bloated stomach and my ankles are always swollen and no matter what I do I don't look good in my clothes anymore. Sooooooo, I wake up one morning and get onto Spark and join a challenge. The challenge works and I am doing great and then my knees simply give out. Out of the challenge and into the operating room where I have both knees replaced. A year passes. The weight returns. Physical therapy makes me whole again. Now it is time to regroup, get back on Spark, and decide to finally get rid of this extra weight. After a few weeks I am ready for a challenge again! No, I am gonna do two!
So, here is my top 10 list for what I want to accomplish this fall in my challenges:
10. Plan my days better so that I am prepared to take care of me. Each day must include some form of exercise, control of my eating habits, and time to spend with friends either in person or on the computer.
9. Get control of my sugar addiction. Teach myself how good it feels to walk past a temptation and how good it feels to enjoy just a bit of something I really love. It is not necessary to eat more than a bite or two if I let myself really enjoy it.
8. Work on stretching! Got to get rid of this nagging plantar faciaitis which is ruining my ability to walk long distances. It is a matter of stretching my leg muscles all the time.
7. Clean out my closets and eliminate all the clothes that are too big and allow me to gain a pound or two (or 10) and still have something to wear. It is just enabling bad behavior in the guise of saving money.
6. Join classes at the Y. I need to be more social in my approach to exercise. I have always been a loner at the gym because I am embarrassed by my body and I have got to get over that.
5. Be more aware! If I really think about what I put in my body then I can enjoy what I eat and help myself to a healthier lifestyle. Mindless eating or eating to try and overcome some type of pain is counter-productive.
4. Be kind to myself! I want to learn to appreciate the hard work that I am putting into this venture and at the same time not beat myself up when I am not perfect. It took me years to get to this point and the change won't happen overnight but if I change my habits I can change my life.
3. Be proud of the way I look. I need to understand that no one is perfect and that if I am proud of what I accomplish each day that will show in my attitude and appearance.
2. Make new friends! I really enjoy working with teammates on these challenges. There is something really great about working with people who you may never meet but who begin to understand you and share in your victories as well as support you when things aren't going the way you would like. And it makes me feel good when I can support them, too.
1.Finish this year a healthier and happier me! I want to be able to go places and not worry about whether I can navigate the stairs or that my clothes fit. I guess I just want to live an easier life, free from nagging aches and pains caused by carrying around too much weight. I would like to get on a plane and be comfortable in my seat. I would like to get down on the floor with ease and play with my grandchildren. It is the simple things, isn't it?