200,000-249,999 SparkPoints 225,353

Tuesday, July 15 A Long Overdue Update

Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Hi All,

I'm sorry that I haven't been around, but I have been through everything and I have a lot more to go through...

I did go to rehab and after I had been there for about eight days, I convinced the doctor to let me work with my pain doc. My pain doc agreed that I couldn't do anything without my pain being controlled so he added a fentanyl patch back to my regime. Then at about ten days, my favorite and most pushy physical therapist said to me, "I think you're ready." I looked at her and said, "Ready for what?" She said, "To stand up." I was shocked since I hadn't been able to bear weight at all and my legs simply weren't working--but I said to her that, "I'm nervous, but I want this and I will give it my best," She wheeled me to the parallel bars and counted to three. At that point, she pulled on the gait belt and pulled me to my feet. Once I was up, she said, "You know what is next?" I answered, "To walk?" and she agreed. I walked back and forth the length of the parallel bars three times and then sat down and cried for 20 minutes. I couldn't believe that I was able to do that. The next day, she said that we would use the walker and we did. The problem was that I couldn't get myself up. We worked and worked on it.

In the meantime, the hospital had run a UA on me when I first came and found that I had a UTI. They started me on an antibiotic called Levaquin. I took it for seven days and on the eighth day, I broke out in a bright red measles looking rash on my face, my privates and my behind. It turned into a flaming red color and total rash over the same area and for the next four days, it covered my entire body. The rehab doctor gave me benadryl for two days and the nurses begged him to do something else so he put me on steroids and gave me hydrocortisone cream. On Saturday, I saw a different doctor who took one look at me and said, "This is dangerous." He got the disease control doctor to examine me and they determined that I needed specialized care, so they put me in an ambulance and sent me for that 75 minute ride back to University Hospital. They took me to the ER and it seemed like 50 people had to come in and check me out. I was burning everywhere.

They took a biopsy off of the back of my arm and the dermatologists admitted me to the floor adjacent to the burn unit. The burn unit staff along with wonderful staff on the floor I was on worked hard to manage my pain from these burns and to treat everything. I was put on a regime of creams and bandaging to try and control the blisters and to actually speed this mess along. My heart rate stayed extremely elevated and they finally put me on meds for that. Taking my blood pressure was torture because of all of the burns and blisters that covered my arms. The same problem came up for drawing blood or placing an IV, I was a mess. It was pretty awful--and all I could think about was physical therapy and my legs needing to be exercised and worked. I got to see the PT for 30 minutes each day and the OT for 30 minutes, but the rest of my time was in bed. It was a long and horrible time, but after 6 days, I was down to bandages on my arms and hands and my legs and feet--so the hospital wanted to send me back to rehab. I tried to convince them that I had met my long term goals from rehab--I had the documents and the therapists agreed with me, but they came back and told me that the rehab folks told them I needed two more days there.

I got them to let me ride with my husband rather than in an ambulance (for the third time, oh my) and we had a lovely ride back to rehab. When we got there, they had a room for me--but the nurse who was assigned to me took a look at my dressings and said, "I'm not changing those." I was shocked--I had worked with her a couple of times and she had never been so nasty. I looked at her and said that I needed them changed because I needed creams/ medications applied. Then she brought me some cold left over dinner tray that had a baked potato, a muffin, cottage cheese, and hot cocoa on it. Oh yes, and some weird cold broth. I told her that I surely wasn't eating that and that she could take it back.

I waited for another 3 1/2 hours before anyone else came into my room--except two of my kids because I texted my family and told them what was going on. (I had sent my husband home because our youngest, autisic son was having problems and needed a parent. I needed him to do that more than to monitor me--or so I thought.) One of my kids brought me a nice chicken dinner and another brought a pizza. :) I needed to go to the restroom and couldn't use the facility in the room because it needed a riser--my son went and pushed them to bring me a commode which was the only thing that was really done for me. Anyway, finally that nurse came into the room with information to "put me in the loop." The packet of papers I brought from the hospital was unacceptable to them because there weren't any "doctor's orders." They called University Hospital and said that I hadn't really been discharged, so she gave them an ultimatum. If they hadn't sent doctor's orders for me within 15 minutes, she was putting me in an ambulance and sending me back to them. She said that the doctor who had been seeing me all along had refused me as a patient. I got pissed off and told her that she was not putting me into an ambulance and that I was going home. I swear her eyes sparkled when I said that and she asked me to wait a few minutes. 20 minutes later, she came back and said that University Hospital had discharged me to go home. She said that my meds would be called into my pharmacy in the morning. When I questioned her about physical therapy, her answer to me was to "call any of them up and they will just take you." I was totally shocked, because I knew that wasn't true. However, my kids helped repack the box of creams and bandages that had been sent with me and I figured that I had enough meds to get me through the night and they helped me to get back into our car with my burning. swollen feet.

It seemed like a miraculous and very long ride home for that 20 minutes. It was terribly hard to get into my house because my feet were on fire and I hadn't had any meds since about 2:00 and it was almost 9 hours later. My sons and husband were so wonderful with me and they got me into the house someway. I hadn't climbed stairs at all and we have two to get into the house. Besides the burning and swelling in my feet, I couldn't lift my feet to get up the stairs. I was exhausted on top of everything. My husband and one of my sons guided my walker and another of my sons helped to move and lift my feet and they got me inside and to my power chair. They went to work on my bandages as soon as i took some pain meds and my other meds. They finished with all of them at about 12:30 AM. I slept well, believe it or not and we called the pharmacy as soon as they opened. Of course no meds had been called in for me.

I called my PCP and he got me in during his lunch. He was leaving after lunch to go on a week long family vacation. It took him an hour and a half to muddle through the paperwork I had and order meds, get me an appointment with the other rehab doc--the one who sent me to University Hospital, get me a visiting nurse to care for my wounds, get me an appointment with my pain doc, and to order and get me started in physical therapy. They did some blood work as well. I was so glad that I went to someone who knew me. I went home and started working on the exercises I knew to do. It was a hard time__I'd sleep a while and then need bandages changed. The blisters were breaking and my feet were leaving puddles all around me. My family worked hard to care for me. When the nurse came, he was impressed with how well they were caring for the mess I was in.

I got to get rid of the bandages off of my hands about 6 days ago. My feet are coming along--the doctors in Iowa City thought that my feet and legs would be through with all of the blistering and peeling by the end of this week. I started back to therapy last week. It is hard for them because the big bulky bandages on my sore feet are hard to work with-the only shoes I can wear are my son's size 12 athletic slides. I am still having some trouble pulling myself to my feet. My upper legs are very weak and aren't doing their job yet--we are working on strengthening and endurance. I cannot pull my feet into the car yet. I have learned how to get up our stairs. I am really trying to get myself back on my feet. Apparently it is the L2 vertebrae that controls the part of my legs that aren't working yet and that is where all of the trouble in my last surgery was at.

I believe I will be walking without my walker at some point. I also believe that I will overcome all of this mess. I don't know when I will have time for SP like I used to. I have made a lot of decisions about my life after these life changing issues I have dealt with. Each of you who have read and supported me here are important to me and I have thought about you--Linda and Pat and Morticia and Ferret Lover (I'm sorry, your name has gotten by me right now) and my OA of the Lower Back group. I just haven't been able to do much about it except think about you. I have had over 900 emails to deal with and all that is important to me is to work towards getting my life back in order. My family has been wonderful, but things around here aren't the way I like them. Lots have been going on with most of my kids plus there is a wedding we are going full steam ahead with. I will be dancing with my son on September 20.

So, I will say that my absence has been beyond my control and that I am sorry for leaving you all for so long. I am not sure when I will be a true spark person again. My weight fell greatly and then when all of that swelling came, it went up like crazy. My legs are still slightly swollen and my poor feet are not good yet. I will get better. I will get my life back. I have applied for a job in a different school--if I get it, I will be giving three years notice of retirement. If I don't get it, I am going to retire this year. Life is too short to be taking all of the garbage that I have been taking from the principal I work with. I will be starting a reading program for the inner city kids who live around our church for next year--and I sure hope that I have gotten the job as literacy coach in that building so I will know kids and names to make that program the easiest and best that our church can offer children in need. (I don't know if I mentioned that our district plans to eliminate reading teachers at the end of this year--don't even ask me how they can justify that but I know that the reason is $$$ as always. That is another reason I am making a change.)

This is long enough--I should be sleeping now, but I am not ready for whatever reason. I have to go to the hospital with my husband for a 7:45 appointment for a joint replacement class he is taking before his knee replacement on August 4. That is one more reason I have to get better! Life is a busy place and things can be complicated.

I can do this--again, I have missed you all!!
Gentle hugs,

PS: Would someone update the teams for me--OA of the Lower Back and Basset Hound Dogs? I really appreciate your support!
Share This Post With Others
Member Comments About This Blog Post
    I am so relieved that you let us know how you are. I have been worried.

    Thank God that therapist got you up walking when she did since things got so messed up after that. I agree that it sounds like you will get back on your feet given time to recover.

    I don't like Levaquin. It's such a dangerous antibiotic in my opinion. It sounds like you had a terrible reaction to it!!

    The nurse at rehab sounded horrible. She needs fired. You are so fortunate to have such a good family to step in. It sounds like they a better job than anyone.

    Don't worry about us here. We just want you to get back on your feet. You have enough to do to accomplish that and be the matriarch of your large family.

    I'm glad to see you get away from the toxic principal. No reading teachers? Good grief.
    1738 days ago
    It's okay Sylvia. I was so thankful to see your update today, but not happy about all you've endured. I just can't even imagine the pain, etc., you have dealt with and continue to deal with. Hugs & Prayers!

    BHound group has been very slow, but just this past week we had a little chat going. Just take care of you!!
    1739 days ago
  • _LINDA
    Oh Sylvia, so very sorry to hear of this ordeal you went through :-(( Its unimaginable!! I feared something was very wrong when we had not heard from you in such a long time :-( You have some great plans for your future -and it was about time you left that poisonous workplace! I agree that maybe some retribution is warranted here -no way those people should get away with that treatment of you!!
    Personally, I don't think you should have been let out of the University hospital until those burns were better healed. I have never heard of anything like that before.
    Will be thinking of you sending cool, soothing thoughts and healing prayers.
    {{{very careful, gentle hugs}}}
    1739 days ago
    Sylvia, so great to actually hear from you. My G......girl you have been through it. I agree with HAPPY SOULS you need to see a lawyer that specializes with medical malpractice and negligence. The treatment you received when you returned to the rehab hospital is shocking. I hope you have that nurse's name. I am amazed at your recovery. You are doing great. You will do this. I understand you decisions about job change. I hope you get the new job, I would think hard about retirement. I believe you deserve it and if it is financially feasible I would do it in a minute. You have plenty at home with family to keep you busy and losing the stress of work would truly be a blessing. Hugs Pat
    1739 days ago
    Sending you all the prayers I can add to the rest. You are fantastic and a very strong woman, keep a record of everything you wrote down and when you are able....get a shark lawyer, it is appalling how your health care has been done
    1739 days ago
    I sent you a private message, Sylvia.

    emoticon emoticon emoticon emoticon emoticon emoticon
    1739 days ago
  • ENUFF81020
    Somehow I forgot to mention my friend Janet who had been going through her own life issues last I knew and who is my connection to the Basset Hound group. I'm so sorry Janet, I know you have been praying for me and thinking about me all of this time too....
    1739 days ago
  • Add Your Comment to the Blog Post

    Log in to post a comment

    Disclaimer: Weight loss results will vary from person to person. No individual result should be seen as a typical result of following the SparkPeople program.