2,500-3,999 SparkPoints 3,785

Week of no sweets and concussion?

Monday, June 09, 2014

I blogged on Friday about how I can be a little "pushy" and a little negative when trying to "motivate" my girls (or simply to get them to do something!).

DD#2 got home from basketball camp late Thursday night. They had played 10 games in 2 days and they spent Thursday walking around Nashville and the CMA and then driving home in bad weather & traffic.

She was exhausted and wasn't going to go to volleyball work-outs on Friday morning. I didn't "push" her to go, but I kind of fretted about it!

We had a pretty easy Friday night - DD#1 is still in Arizona and DD#2 & #3 just lounged around the house (actually all day).

DD#2 woke up Saturday morning and she said she had a dull headache and has been having trouble falling asleep, but able to sleep after that. After much discussion and calling the nurse line, going online, etc., we determined she probably had a minor head injury or a concussion! Apparently she fell Wednesday afternoon and hit her head. She said she was able to play the rest of the game (said it was actually her best game) and then played 2 more games after that! She didn't say anything to the coach because she was playing varsity at that time and they were down to 5 players.

Concussion treatment, etc. is a very big deal based on all of the research. We signed an agreement when she had her physical and she was supposed to let the coaches know she had hit her head. They saw her fall, but she said they probably didn't know she also hit her head. She has always had the mentality of "suck it up" and is a pretty tough girl. We discussed with her the importance of not "playing through" a head injury and the coaches have the "when it doubt, sit them out" responsibility.

She understood, but I must admit, both DH and I had a hard time not thinking this is all "overkill". We know it's not and we understand, but we did grow up in the "shake it off" and "you just got your bell rung" and if you could stand, you could play!

Anyway, it was already 3 days after the "injury" and a Saturday and the only symptom she was experiencing by then was the dull headache (she wasn't sure if she had experienced any other symptoms because she was also exhausted by playing so many games) so we didn't have to take her in in, but I had to consult a website that is sponsored by the local children's hospital and follow the procedures. Plus they recommend having an "Impact Test" so they can have a "base" if there are any further injuries. It's something that they should have on record.

I was glad she spent Friday doing nothing and couldn't do anything Saturday or Sunday. And I mean nothing - no computer, video games, texting, movies (and no school if they were in school!). She could watch a little TV (like a cartoon), but basically could not "use" her brain.

By Sunday, she was so bored (plus she missed going to the lake with a friend). She didn't have a headache later Saturday or Sunday, so today she went to volleyball this morning. It's a light work-out today, but if the headache returns, she'll have to miss for a couple days. If this was during the basketball season, she wouldn't be able to play any games for at least a week. Apparently volleyball isn't one of the sports that has a bunch of restrictions. She'll go back to basketball practice on Thursday if she's still "symptom free".

So, other than that, my weekend was pretty nice (even though I spent most of Saturday morning on the phone and online). I did cut grass Saturday afternoon and DD#3, friend, puppy and I went to a park on the river and walked and played in the river.

I cleaned house, ran some errands and went to Kohl's on Sunday. DH ran on Sunday evening and I walked a couple of miles with the puppy (again leaving a bored DD#2 at home).

I also had 5 days of "no sweets week". DH, DD#3 and I ended up going to a frozen yogurt shop on Sunday afternoon (while running around) and getting yogurt and sitting outside. It was a nice outing, so I didn't feel any guilt about eating the yogurt (plus it was my lunch!).

I've done pretty good with the Simply Filling and I peeked on the scale this morning and I was down almost 4 lbs.! Nothing is official until Wednesday's weigh in, but I feel better eating right again.

I was thinking this morning while walking the dogs that my challenge this week is to get at least 30 mins. of exercise each day. I walk the dogs for 15 mins. in the mornings, so I have to at least get an additional 15 mins. or more of exercise in the evenings!

I'm ready to meet that summer goal of getting back to GOAL!
Share This Post With Others
Member Comments About This Blog Post

    Be the First to Add Your Comment to the Blog Post

    Log in to post a comment

    Disclaimer: Weight loss results will vary from person to person. No individual result should be seen as a typical result of following the SparkPeople program.

More Blogs by COACHMOMMY