Thursday, June 05, 2014
good morning everyone--well I managed to get my run in yesterday before the rain hit. I am currently running 3 miles and working on my speed. the first mile and a half I run at 172 bpm--which on a good day works out to about a 10:40 minute mile for me. yesterday I wasn't moving as well, so it was more like 11:20--but that's still a lot faster than the 12 min. mile that was my original goal. I would like to get into 10 min. mile territory--at least for a 5K distance--so I won't be at the back of the pack. I did an age calculating thing online that told me that for my age, a good running speed is 10:02. I think that speed is achievable for me if I work at it--at least for the shorter distance. I may always be one of the stragglers at a longer distance. I also read a thing that told me that stride length isn't so much a determination of running speed as I would have thought. a study was done comparing stride lengths and speeds and there wasn't that much difference. the only qualifier is that the study was done on elite runners--who I suspect are all built similarly anyway--I doubt that any "hobbit" bodies were included in the study. but it gives me encouragement that I can better my times by increasing my cadence alone--and letting my stride length just sort of "set itself". so I have backed off on my distance for awhile and am working on increasing the workload by upping my speed. I have to say this makes it much harder than I expected--but that tells me that this is where I need to work. currently I can manage a mile and a half at the faster rate--my goal is to be able to cover a total of 3 miles at this speed. a lot of it is just getting my body accustomed to what this level of work feels like. and being slow and steady in the uptick--so my muscles have a chance to adapt. as they get stronger they will support my joints better--and keep them safe and in good shape until they have a chance to catch up.
we had a strong, steady rain yesterday all afternoon. it came at just the right time and gave everything a good soak. all the daylilies I had moved and divided got a good long drink of rain water. I have 14 more spots to fill in the named cultivars, then I move on to the 5.00 section--that's probably about 250 divisions altogether. rob and I moved the last of the horse poo into that area last night--still need another trailerload to finish the job, but I have plenty of ground to start working in now. I think my daylily display area is going to be really beautiful this year. the plants have matured and are all nice sized blooming clumps now. should be lots of color once bloom season starts.
time to get to work--have a lovely day!